• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hands on outing for 8x10 & 4x5 no camera needed!

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Who is interested in a Hands on outing to shoot 8x10 and 4x5 no camera needed!

I have 8x10 and 4x5 setups to use complete with all Polaroid hardware need for both?

All can go home with a sample they shot!

Just an idea!

Great idea! I have done similar in field workshops here in Australia and it is always a revelation how small camera shooters respond to the spectacular ground glass images they see under the focussing cloth. I've even had a few "Gee whiz, its upside-down, and in colour."

One thing I have learned to insist on during these workshops is that participants do not bring their own cameras. The view camera, while impressive, is difficult to use physically and conceptually for someone used to the miniature camera. The distracting temptation for them is to plink away at the nice scenery with the usual point 'n shoot and only play with the view camera.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful!

You are my man Wil!

To those who may not know, Will actually rebuilds his cameras from parts gleaned everywhere in the world and uses the parts strewn all over his wife's kitchen to torture her!

That way she celebrates when a cdemra is complete and wont complain when the bill arrives for the new leather bellows custom made for his latest rescue, the Kodak 8x10.

We've been talking about this for some time and I think this is a great opportunity for everyone.

Still life or a model?

Asher

Erik DeBill

As the realtor said: "Location, location, location!"

Where are you talking about doing this? Not that I expect to make it if it's outside of Texas (and even then there are limits - the drive to El Paso is just too long for anything short of 3 day stay).

Asher Kelman

Will and I plan to gewt together first and shoot with his setup and also mine, to make sure we have everything organized.

I have 2 4x5 cameras, but only one Polaroid back. He has more.

I am trying to get a digital setup too. That will likely tske a little longer. We are trying to encourage local OPF photographers to get together. Maybe you could organize a shoot in your area. Even just several guys together will help expand our LF capability.

Asher

Erik DeBill

I would be more than willing to do that. If there's interest in doing such a thing in or near Austin, TX.

I've got 2 4x5 cameras, a monorail and a field camera. I have a polaroid and a quickload holder - I suspect I could expose polaroids in the quickload holder and process both sets in the one polaroid holder if both cameras were in use in close proximity.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having a 1:1 polaroid back to camera ratio, since the vast majority of the time you aren't actually exposing film. You're arranging the shot, metering, etc.

Asher Kelman

This is great! Let's see if we can get a shoot in Silicon Valley S.F. area too and then we'll get dates.

We'll advertize it in Breaking News, Layback Cafe and here!

So first find some dates.

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member

All interested in trying out or just having fun shooting in Large format please let us know who you are and what area you are in.

We need to know if there are enough to put together a shoot.

And Where to have it?

Jack_Flesher

If you end up doing this in Silicon Valley and have too many people and not enough cameras, I have a 4x5 outfit with Polaroid holder as well, and an 8x10 camera, but no Polaroid film or holders for the 8x10. Happy to bring it along anyway if there is interest.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Hi Jack,

We'd have to have a Polaroid 8x10 processor. I just ourchased mine and it will be shipped on Tuesday. I'll buy an 8x10 camera. Not sure to get it used or buy something beautiful. I'll check out my 2 4x5 cameras again. I would come up with mine. Think about whare to do the 8x10 work.

We need good tripods and electricity for the processor, unless someone has a hand cranked 8x10 processor.

Let's see if Will will travel too?

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Here are the 4 cameras I have lined up allready.

bd_3.JPG.jpg

Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic "Special" 4x5 (pre sale eBay photo)

lt45cf.gif

Toyo 45CF 4x5 (Toyo stock photo)

wista 4_2.jpg

Wista 45DX 4x5 (pre sale KEH eMail photo)

Canon-EOS-Mark-II-11-29-06-M-014.jpg

Calumet C1 8x10 (pre sale eBay photo) Has a new bellows now!

Asher Kelman

Well, I'll add my Crown Graphic and a Bosch 4x5, just need to check the bellow again for light leaks!

I spoke tonight to Mike spinak in San FRancisco and he's for it too.

They generally have 5-6 or so but if we bring a model, then who knowsd how many would turn up?

Maybe we should just stick to trees!

Asher!

Asher Kelman

Richard,

I love your B&W pictures of Venice. Haven't gone through everything but hope to wander around a bit tomorrow.

We'd love to see you.

Mike spinak will be the contact person with Jack Flesher.

This will be a great OPF day.

We will repeat it in LA and in San Diego If there's Interest!

Asher

Jack_Flesher

I have an Arca 4x5 and Arca 8x10.

Re power for the 8x10 processor -- First off, the Polaroid processors can be hand-cranked if you got the crank handle with your unit :) If you didn't, I have a 1000W portable Honda generator :D

Re shooting models with view cameras -- it is difficult at best when you know how to use a view camera AND have experienced models AND are shooting in a controlled studio setting. (Once the filmholder is loaded, you cannot see anything. If the model or camera moves, you are hosed. If the lighting changes, you are hosed.) I would suggest static outdoor subjects for an intro to LF setting as they offer higher chances for a successful image.

Cheers,

Erik DeBill

Re shooting models with view cameras -- it is difficult at best when you know how to use a view camera AND have experienced models AND are shooting in a controlled studio setting. (Once the filmholder is loaded, you cannot see anything. If the model or camera moves, you are hosed. If the lighting changes, you are hosed.) I would suggest static outdoor subjects for an intro to LF setting as they offer higher chances for a successful image.

I was thinking that sculpture gardens might be good, especially if we can do some off-camera lighting to help spice things up a little. Off camera with a PC cord (ala strobist.blogspot.com) works great with older LF gear.

Erik DeBill

Where "here" is in California? I'm afraid not. My travel budget is curtailed while I pay off several recent purchases.

I'd be happy to supply a couple cameras for an event in Central Texas sometime in the next couple months, though.

Jack_Flesher

I was thinking that sculpture gardens might be good, especially if we can do some off-camera lighting to help spice things up a little. Off camera with a PC cord (ala strobist.blogspot.com) works great with older LF gear.

Sure, the Rodin sculpture garden at Stanford would be an easy location for the SF Bay Area. I have reflectors and scrims, so we could even do a module on natural lighting.

Cheers,

Erik DeBill

Well Erik,

Where do you think it could be? Think about it. I might bring cameras for you too.

Asher

I'll have to do some scouting. I must confess I've never been to either of the two local sculpture gardens I know about (they both have odd access restrictions that require planning to get around).

Another thought is that if we schedule it for the end of March or some time in April, the timing will also be good for bluebonnets. Current predictions are for the first good year in a long while. I'm not sure how well polaroids manage vivid color, but it's a thought. I know I plan on going flower hunting with a bunch of Provia in hand when the season arrives.

Asher Kelman

So we have a basic idea. I have just recieved my Polaroid 8x10 processor and Will and I will be testing everything Meanwhile anyone interested please post here and we'll consider have a S.F. and a Texas shoot.

Asher