• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CaptureOne 4.5 pro is out!

By the way, have you seen the tone of the posts of the Owners Forum? few positive comments and pouring negative ones, ...

Well, such is the situation in many of there fora that are dedicated to a specific product. The happy customers are quiet, the disgrunteled ones (not necessarily power users) are more vocal.
However, and I've said it before, Phase One's communication policy sucks (from a commercial point of view). That BTW is not uncommon for a technology oriented company, but it's no excuse either.

Probably it is a combination of people not finding things --the Users Guide tells you only the obvious basic things--, features not yet implemented -like this case-...

As with all drastic changes in user interface, there will be lovers of the old look and feel, and there will be people who adapt to the inevitable and make the best of it. Obviously, if there are poor workflow changes, without good reasons or better alternatives, one's in for revolt by the customer base ...

or it may be a case of a small company that is way over their heads competing with the likes of ADOBE and APPLE.

Size plays a role, but it still looks like it's not the main reason.

If I was Phase I would take $100 out of the PRO version just as to compensate for the time we where waiting and to make users more inclined to go walk alone while 4.5 matures in to all its potential.

While I agree as a user
wink.gif
, it might not be a good business decision. Can't really tell, not enough data available.

Bart

Nicolas, I took the liberty of asking -and quoting you without naming you-- on the matter in another forum and most photographers are not less happy about 4.5PRO IQ than earlier programs ... quite the opposite...

don't know what to say..

take care

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nicolas, I took the liberty of asking -and quoting you without naming you-- on the matter in another forum and most photographers are not less happy about 4.5PRO IQ than earlier programs ... quite the opposite...

don't know what to say..

take care

Hi Leonardo
Well, duno what to say… that's my experience with 1Ds MKIII files only…
Maybe I know to well C One 3.7, but surely I don't have found the settings that fits well for me with C One 4.5…
I was really waiting beter result with the latter…

nicolas claris

Well it seems I'm getting better with C O 4.5 pro this morning (played with "clarity" slider)…

Can't make the overlay working when export… does anyone has any clue on how to get a © signature automatically ala C1 or LR?

nicolas claris

Well it seems I'm getting better with C O 4.5 pro this morning (played with "clarity" slider)…

Can't make the overlay working when export… does anyone has any clue on how to get a © signature automatically ala C1 or LR?

I mean not in the exif but viewable on the image…

Well, duno what to say… that's my experience with 1Ds MKIII files only…

In my opinion, the conversion quality (which has many aspects) is the best I've seen for 1Ds3 Raw files, especially resolution and lack of artifacts. This is based on the non-pro version, but I can hardly imagine the pro version is any different in that respect.

I'd be interested in hearing if/how the Pro version's chromatic aberration and moiré corrections work out on 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 Raws. I'll give the Pro version a try when the missing but announced features/corrections are implemented.

Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
I'd be interested in hearing if/how the Pro version's chromatic aberration and moiré corrections work out on 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 Raws.
Bart

yep, that is interesting me quite a lot - apart from IQ.
I've quite been pleased with the non pro - 4.1.2 - still using Magne's profile (etc).

But just yesterday, a nasty RAW showed up much better in RAW Developer than in C1- 4.1.2.
As much as the images are different in contrast, lightness, etc - as much we need different converting strategies/options.

Alain Briot

pro member
As much as the images are different in contrast, lightness, etc - as much we need different converting strategies/options.

Absolutely. I'm always shocked when I am asked "Which raw converter do you use" with the expectation that there's one miracle "fix-all" solution out there. I consider the "raw converter" category as a toolbox. Each converter is a different tool that goes in this toolbox.

There is a long -relatively- series of training videos for C1 4.5 here http://www.phaseone.com/4/ Just go

>Go for PRO>Video Tutorials

I downloaded the PDF Manual and it was not as helpful. This Tutorials are narrated -and probably designed- by Walter Borchenko-

It explains the COLOR EDITOR that now is attached to c1 4.5 and can be used to modify ICC profiles. I watched the entire tutorial and learned a few things, this is a vast program that has a few tools in the toolbox, some new...

nicolas claris

I'd be interested in hearing if/how the Pro version's chromatic aberration and moiré corrections work out on 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 Raws. I'll give the Pro version a try when the missing but announced features/corrections are implemented.

Bart

Hi Bart
at least, yes the purple fringe correction is very good (so few moiré with 1Ds3 that I cannot tell;-)

If you have 3 V of C1 you are entitled for a free upgrade to 4.5…
I have both installed and working on my MBP laptop and on the MacPro office machine…

Last edited:
Nicolas, I did installed 4.5.2 but had no time to test it. But I'm happy you are happy about it. It is good that Phase is doing this fine tuning quick and fixing bugs that where bugging people. I'm almost used to the GUI and was happy to see that when I installed the new upgrade it opened exactly as if it was 4.5.1

Take care, Leonardo

CaptureOne 4.5.2 pro rocks!

There we are! (still talking IQ, and getting used of the GUI)

nicolas claris

Nicolas, Bonjour

which profile did you use; the generic one, or a custom-made one?
As I have the 4.2 LE-version, what is - in your book - the biggest difference between it and the pro Version?

Bonjour Michael!
I use the generic profile, I think the reds are a bit too saturated.

I don't know about the difference between the versions, you may have a look on Phase website (not available at the moment…), I'm sure that it is documented somewhere…

However, afaik, I think pro as:
- Possibility to use 2 monitors, one for palettes and browsing folders, the other one for main view (zoomable at 100%)
- Lens specific correction working with phase backs (otherwise generic pincushion is possible)

Sorry for not being of better help!

nicolas claris

Nicolas, Bonjour

which profile did you use; the generic one, or a custom-made one?
As I have the 4.2 LE-version, what is - in your book - the biggest difference between it and the pro Version?

Again…
Phase website is up again, here is what I could quickly grab for you:

1. Capture One comes in three versions: 4.5.2, 4.5.2 PRO and 4.5.2 DB (for Digital Back. read Phase backs)

2. Some of the highlighted new features in Capture One 4.5.2 PRO/DB are:

- Tethered shooting: Speed up your workflow by connecting a Phase One digital back or
supported Canon DSLRs to a computer and capture images directly into the computer.
- Lens tools: Enhance lens performance by using the new tools to minimize chromatic
aberration, purple fringing, distortion, sharpness falloff and light falloff. Make creative effects
with new vignetting tools.
- Color Editor: An intuitive toolset for selectively customizing image colors to perfection and
consistent reproduction.
- Skin Tone: Set and reproduce skin tones shot under a variety of light conditions without using
a gray card.
- Styles: Explore and create unique looks with the Styles feature and reproduce them
consistently with ease.
- Sessions: Streamline your photographic jobs using Sessions to organize all your captures,
selects, processed images and more in one place.
- Customizable tools: Setup up Capture One to your work preference and situation at any given
time. Create custom tool tabs with your own toolsets, work with multi monitor set up and
undock tools to have them readily available in your image where you want them.

3.Capture One 4, Capture One 4 PRO or Capture One 4 DB?

The version of Capture One 4 is determined by the product key, when you download the application it holds all 3 versions.
Capture One 4 was originally released in December 2007 now holds significant updates compared to the version released.
Capture One 4 DB supports merely Phase One digital backs.
Capture One 4 PRO version holds a series of highly advanced tools created to match the professional photographers daily workflow.
Capture One 4 and Capture One 4 PRO needs online access for activation, but not for daily usage, whereas

CI.gif

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks Nicolas

exactly, as the C1-site was down, I asked.
As I' ve still 10.4 running, I had to upgrade the OS as well, therefore some more questions:

- vers 4.21. suppresses CA, while not having a special tool for it; could you show a screenie please, with de/activated CA-correction on 4.5?

Does the tool corrects for purple fringing as well?

How does the lens correction tool works in term of distortions corrections?
- Just a slider - or is there a db behind, with stored correction °numbers°?

- Multiple monitor support: Can you have the image at the master display, only?

Selectiv color adjustements?

Thanks, I had a look at site now, but the flash movie is unfortunatly pretty small....Michael

nicolas claris

Thanks Nicolas

exactly, as the C1-site was down, I asked.
As I' ve still 10.4 running, I had to upgrade the OS as well, therefore some more questions:

- vers 4.21. suppresses CA, while not having a special tool for it; could you show a screenie please, with de/activated CA-correction on 4.5?

Does the tool corrects for purple fringing as well?

How does the lens correction tool works in term of distortions corrections?
- Just a slider - or is there a db behind, with stored correction °numbers°?

- Multiple monitor support: Can you have the image at the master display, only?

Selectiv color adjustements?

Thanks, I had a look at site now, but the flash movie is unfortunatly pretty small....Michael

Bonsoir Michael

C1_CA.gif
here is the screen shot of the CA tab.

You may choose to actvite or not the CA correction, in the case of a non Phase Back you may fill yourself the db with your own camera/lens/aperture

Purple fringe is (very well) handled by a special checkmark

As well as Distortion and vigneting.

Sharpness and Light falloff are deactivated, I guess it is only for Phase's backs

I have the image on my beautifull Nec 3090 Spectraview display and tabs and browser on the secondary monitor. Neat!

Upgrading to 10.5 is necessary but beware that though you may launch 4.5 on a non Intel based Mac, it will have strange behaviors and is not recommended by Phase (as far as I have read in Phase forum).

So the base machine for 4.5 is Intel Macs running 10.5

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks Nicolas

I wasn' t aware of the requirement of a intelmac; just thought - and it was initially announced - it would be Os-dependent; so thanks for pointing out that! Still the latest PPC-Quad, here...

I'm wondering if the Lens correction tool works for third-party lenses as well; I've got more non canon lens than canons ones.

nicolas claris

You're welcome Michael

here is the list of the lens database provided by Phase (the Canon 14 at ƒ11 is mine!):

C1_Lenses.jpg

As far as I understand, the process to enrich the database is to make your own settings (presets) within C1 with every of your lens with any different ƒstop and you should be set…

I hope I got it right!

Michael Fontana

pro member
Eh bien, Nicolas

I had a look at it - all the flash movies, and yes, the color editor seems to be very powerfull, and the rest of C1 is teasing.

But as you know too: I woud need to upgrade the hardware, which I'm not to keen at the moment, as updates with the Nehalem (Core i7) are likely to arrive soon.