• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Image Appearance

George McCabe

I am not sure if this is the correct section for this question, but...I recently saw a few photos that were shot by my mother-in-law. They were amazing shots from various beaches. I noticed that the photos have a very holographic look to them. I asked about them and she said she did no out of the ordinary editing and it was a ordinary picture frame.

Was this appearance the effect of a certain type of lens?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi George,

We don't have enough information!

1. I don't know what you might mean be the holographic effect.
  2. Is this printed in ordinary photopaper?
  3. Are you describing a floating 3D image?
  4. Is you mother-in-law snapping vacation pics or is she a serious photographer?
  5. Does she know photoshop well?
  6. Can you post one of these pictures so we can see an example of this phenomenon?

Asher

George McCabe

Asher

Sorry my original post was not more detailed.

The image is printed on ordinary photopaper and yes it does resemble a 3d floating image. All of the images I described are vacation pics but she is a very serious photographer.

Sadly I do not have any of the images here to post. I can email her and try and obtain one. I do not know her skill level in photoshop but I do know she uses it quite often.

George

Alain Briot

pro member
My mother in law also had hollographic-looking images. . . I think its something peculiar to MIL, not to the equipment they use.

John Sheehy

Asher

Sorry my original post was not more detailed.

The image is printed on ordinary photopaper and yes it does resemble a 3d floating image. All of the images I described are vacation pics but she is a very serious photographer.

Sadly I do not have any of the images here to post. I can email her and try and obtain one. I do not know her skill level in photoshop but I do know she uses it quite often.

Do you mean that the edges of in-focus subjects are quite distinct from the background?

That could be due to a number of things:

1) The image was downsized with the "nearest neighbor" algorithm, losing the real transition between the edge of the subject and the background, and getting artificial, sharp transitions.

2) An effect the same as #1, but due to the camera itself (such as with a Sigma DSLR).

3) Image was taken with extremely shallow depth-of-field, and well-sharpened in software.

4) The subject was cut out from one image, and pasted over another.