• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Newborn Charolais calf

Doug Kerr

On the way back from a lovely Mexican lunch and then a session updating our photography of the new 345 kV power transmission line, Carla mentioned that in the field adjacent to a beauty salon she patronizes (actually, a "day spa" - pretty fancy for this here ol' horse country!) there was a small herd of very handsome Charolais cattle (they are pure white, generally).

We swung past, and as I got out of the car, I could see that the herd was gathering to regard something on the ground, which turned out to be a newborn calf (likely no older than ten minutes).

When I got to the fence, all but the mother, properly respectful of the needs of photojournalists, withdrew out of the shot and just watched me.

Here we see the mother cleaning the little guy up for his debut:

Charolais_F21981R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Newborn Charolais calf 2010

Just a moment later, he got up:

Charolais_F21982R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Up and at 'em

Time for a little more washup before lunch:

Charolais_F21987R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: And let me get behind those ears

[continued]

Doug Kerr

Newborn Charolais calf - Part 2

[Part 2]

Here, mama tells the cousin - maybe a half-brother (not much older - maybe a day or two) to leave the little guy alone for a while and just watch that funny guy on the other side of the fence:

Charolais_F21988R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Leave him alone

Now, properly washed up, the little guy has his first lunch:

Charolais_F21989R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: First lunch

And papa has come by to see how it's going.

It's a wondrous thing indeed.

By the way, the road in the background is US 180, the current manifestation of what was once US 80, the main transcontinental east-west route at these latitudes. We are less than a block from the famous Weatherford Malt Shop.

This field is about a mile from our home.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Amazing how they work out birthing, no hot water, no sterile gloves, no worry about whether the pelvis is wide enough, no hospital bills. They even arrange for a photographer for free!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Doug,
These are wonderful!
What a opportune moment!
I'm surprised (although I've no knowledge upon which to base my surprise) that the cattle are left to themselves by the ranch owners.
Considering the investment made in each head, I would have expected to see a Vet anxiously following her around!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
On the way back from a lovely Mexican lunch and then a session updating our photography of the new 345 kV power transmission line, Carla mentioned that in the field adjacent to a beauty salon she patronizes (actually, a "day spa" - pretty fancy for this here ol' horse country!) there was a small herd of very handsome Charolais cattle (they are pure white, generally).

We swung past, and as I got out of the car, I could see that the herd was gathering to regard something on the ground, which turned out to be a newborn calf (likely no older than ten minutes).

When I got to the fence, all but the mother, properly respectful of the needs of photojournalists, withdrew out of the shot and just watched me.

Here we see the mother cleaning the little guy up for his debut:

Charolais_F21981R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Newborn Charolais calf 2010

Just a moment later, he got up:

Charolais_F21982R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Up and at 'em

Time for a little more washup before lunch:

Charolais_F21987R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: And let me get behind those ears

[continued]

These are beautiful photographs and although this was from 8 years back are worthy of being seen again today. I must think of an easy way to do that for everyone!

A gallery would be part of the solution perhaps.

Asher