• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sculpture park montage series

Jim Read

Hello all,

I didn't know where else to post this because it is both figurative and landscape.

Not too far from where we live is the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, a huge place with lots and lots of sculptures in the landscape, a great place to visit and to find the unexpected. We'd been there a number of times and I in my usual fashion kept thinking about photography, a figure and the YSP landscape.

I'd done a series of images wearing one of those Morph or Zentai suits and montaged these into various backgrounds at the time I was teaching myself digital art. From those images the idea of 'Everyman' surfaced, the anonymous figure representing any male.

I went to the YSP with the intention of making some images with a figure there but not yet in the images and then to pose at home wearing my Zentai. As I walked round I met a park ranger and chatted to him about my idea he said with a grin, "That's just the sort of thing they go in for here" and asked me to go to the information desk to find out which curator to get in touch with. I did that and met a very enthusiastic lady who gave me a name and an email address. Whether the enthusiasm will carry over to the curator I've no idea.

Eventually I will put the images together in Windows Movie Maker with slow crossfades and submit it to the curator with the idea that the images be projected onto a wall in one of the gallery buildings.

This is one of the montages to make the final image I had to make two exposures one for the shadows and one for the highlights and then combine them with a mask.

This is the before
2qd3bcp.jpg

and this the after
4otuc.jpg

If you would like to see all three merging into one another please take a look at this page: http://www.jasread.com/opf.html

Cheers - Jim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

The pictures are well seen and the transition in this set is intriguing. However,I'd imagine that the curator would expect a longer series of changes as once we have these three frames, then nothing more happens. So your happening can't be over in 3 seconds - unless of course you are Sharon Stone!

At this point, you can decide whether or not the project is complete. If it is then my ideas don't matter in fact they are really out of place, even if the curator won't like it!

OTOH, if you are still formulating the project then I'd offer you the suggestion that you have just taken a few tiny steps on what may turn out to be a magnificent journey! You are about to explore your ideas further. I would bet that there are scenes and poses waiting to get exported from your deep mind, into more frames! So what are the possibilities? It's important that you mine your rich personal resources and I have no doubt you will be giddy at what you realize your brain is holding for you! Take things to the nth and then see how you can push the boundaries of what are the limits of this work.

That's my $0.02, for what it's worth!

Good luck and be bold and trust your inner sense of adventure!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me add that your work is most creative. These sets can work also as sets of images, triptychs or perhaps, using just the first andady of each series diptych compositions printed on one sheet.

You also could add to your show, a live performance with an actor posing in different positions and places - on the grass, by the tree, having a picnic - just examplee that you would replace with your own story line or puzzling plot!

The benefit of having an actor is that folk like performance art and it really uses the park very well.

Asher

Jim Read

Good morning Asher,

Many thanks for your comments nice of you to put so mich thought into them. I should have said in my first post that I intend to do enough images to keep the 'slide show' going for about five minutes, so far I've done about half that, lots of them though need re-working as my ideas develop and change.

I will be making a couple more visits to the park and the next time looking for images that I can merge and add a figure, but with at least one of the images recognisable as a location in the park. After our discussion in another thread I will include some nudes. Thinking about some of the work in the park there are some nude ones and also an Anthony Gormley one atop a dead tree.

As I happens I'd already started by using this and a sloping field on the site to see what I could do with them
24or768.jpg

And turned it into this, just a rough cut at the moment, but I do quite like it.
2ivcp6v.jpg

The 'posers in the park' idea is a good one I know someone who does that statue thing she's very good at it. I will show her the slide show and see if she comes up with anything.

Cheers - Jim

I'll put more images up as I do them