• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Silverstone June F1 test

Ivan Garcia

Hi Guys.
I had a really nice day photographing F1 cars at the recent Silverstone Test.
The event was sold out and the amount of people there was incredible for a test day, access was very restricted, with security stewards posted at every access point. So I had no chance to sneak behind the fence and get level with the cars, as I did for the shots I took in 2005. The best place to shoot was form our second floor balcony at Brooklands Hospitality suits, which is not ideal if you want the heat haze from the car exhaust.
I am a bit disappointed, the teams had screens in front of the garages during our Pit tour, and the paddock was full of very aggressive autograph hunters. They looked like piranhas feeding on some poor unfortunate prey. Needless to say we didn´t get to see any driver, as they were hell bent on avoiding the awaiting savages (successfully ).
Anyway here is one of the better shots I managed, Considering I was hand holding a 1000mm lens (500mm + 2X convertor) against a very strong wind, I am pleased with the result.
Here are a few of the shots I took.

Lewis Hamilton at priory corner, He finished the day with the fastest lap @1:19:170

lh01.jpg

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III with EF 500mm f/4 L IS + EF 2XII (1000mm)@ f/8 - 1/1600 sec - ISO 400 16:9 (experimental crop ratio)

I am actually very please with that image as I seen Pro F1 Photog Sutton offering a similar take for the ITV site HERE and I like mine better.

Here is Rubens Barrichello early in the morning. He finished the day 8th fastest with a time of 1:21:344

Barrichello01.jpg

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III +EF 500mmf/4L IS @ f/4 - 1/5000sec - ISO 400

Alonso not having a good day at the office. He posted the 4th fastest time @ 1:20:862

silverstone7.jpg

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III +EF 500mmf/4L IS @ f/4 - 1/3200sec - ISO 400

Kimi finished 3rd with a time of 1:20:321

Kimi01.jpg

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III with EF 500mm f/4 L IS + EF 2XII (1000mm)@ f/8 - 1/2000 sec - ISO 400

All images hand held (hard as nails .. that lens is very heavy)

Incidentally I am now selling my EOS 1D MKIII as the Ds3 suits my needs perfectly.
The 1D3 is a replacement unit for my early production D3 which was faulty, the unit is 3 weeks old has a 2 year warranty and has been tested for Ai servo accuracy on flying birds (flying bird photography is extremely demanding on a any Autofocus system) the camera passed with the test , so no autofocus issues with this unit. PM me if interested

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these shots Ivan, they are great. Reminds me of the few times that this series has come to Phoenix, the sounds that they make are awesome! Now I want to go and photograph them.

Marshall