• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

form & function

Jim Galli

CowlLamp_5PortrEuryscopS.jpg

cowl lamp

Tested a new 2 me Voigtlander Euryscop Series III #5 portrait lens. Doing scans as we speak, but so far, everything from this lens is the epitome of why I go to the trouble to expose 8X10 film.

Brute force.

Not so very different from the 610mm one I sold you Asher. Get to work.

Jim Galli

A rather contrasty effect from a portrait lens of that vintage?

Good AM Ben. Thanks for the comment. The Euryscop is a rather unorthodox "portrait" lens. It's a very sharp aplanat which as you know, only has 4 surfaces for light to contact, thus the lovely contrast. (or not so lovely if it doesn't please I suppose) It works at f4.5 which is lightning fast for an Aplanat type. Voigtlander is the only marque that ever got them working that fast.

The image was made on the shady side of the car!

Years ago I interviewed Ron Partridge at his home in Berkeley Ca. He was of the generation that had washed their hands of soft focus forever. So when I produced a giant lens and asked to make a portrait of him, he refused saying he wouldn't be photographed with a soft lens. Luckily (and some good planning) the lens was a Euryscop Portrait and when I convinced him to look at the image through it, he got rather enthused.

Jim Galli

pages up at my web site

For all 3 of you who care, here's a link to some new pages I've built at my website with a whole bunch of pictures done in antique mode.

richly appointed interiors

Click on the picture to take you to my pages.

Lenses compared are an "ordinary" 14" Heliar, a 36cm Universal Heliar, and a #5 Series III Portrait Euryscop 14" f4.5

Oh, and btw, I got the last good deal ever made from Eddie when I bought that Heliar :p :D

Feedback welcome. That's why I do this stuff.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jim,

For all 3 of you who care, here's a link to some new pages I've built at my website with a whole bunch of pictures done in antique mode......
Feedback welcome. That's why I do this stuff.
You know we care, even if we cannot react every now and then.
I really liked this series (including the ones on your web page). The lens draws wonderfully indeed.

Take care...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
CowlLamp_5PortrEuryscopS.jpg

cowl lamp

Tested a new 2 me Voigtlander Euryscop Series III #5 portrait lens. Doing scans as we speak, but so far, everything from this lens is the epitome of why I go to the trouble to expose 8X10 film.

This is a special esthetic that works in someway like the brain when one is looking at something one loves or is passionate about. The rest of the scene is suppressed by the brain and one is hardly aware of anything else. That's what soft focus LF lenses can do so well. It's one of the main reason that LF has called me back to film!

Brute force.

Not so very different from the 610mm one I sold you Asher. Get to work.

Thanks for the lens and the gentle prod!

I will be able to test it in the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to the result.

Asher