Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Color Management Discussion > CM Theory and Practice

CM Theory and Practice Profiles, color spaces, perception, science.

Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:30 PM

Default New affordable spectrophotometers

Just a quick info if someone is interested: there are new affordable spectrophotometers on the market. The Sekonic C700 and the Lightning passport.

A general test here.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:41 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Just a quick info if someone is interested: there are new affordable spectrophotometers on the market. The Sekonic C700 and the Lightning passport.

A general test here.
The reference to the "General Test" is worthy of reading for anyone about to dig out or purchase a meter for looking at the temperature or spectrum of the light they are using. I was surprised by the word, "affordable", thinking we had reached the $200 level, but actually we're still at least $1500. From the test data in the reference, it seems that an older Minolta Color meter might be sufficient in many cases. These can be obtained used. I wonder about the wide variation in the color temp of blue sky light, as it varies by 100% in some cases from the average reliable value. I have never needed to obtain that measurement and have no idea when it would be important or critical.

For adding or subtracting color to correct lighting for specific analog films, or accurate digital photography of artwork, one can use decamired filters one can use a Gossen Color Pro 3F Digital Ambient Incident and Incident Flash Meter to choose the corrections to either the lighting fixtures or to the front of the camera. That model might no longer be available new, but there's at least one available at BHPhotovideo for just $649.95 in excellent condition.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I wonder about the wide variation in the color temp of blue sky light, as it varies by 100% in some cases from the average reliable value. I have never needed to obtain that measurement and have no idea when it would be important or critical.
Color temperature only makes sense for light which is close to white. Measuring the color temperature of the blue sky will give erratic results, which depends on the approximations chosen for the underlying maths: Correlated color temperature. The same is true for fluorescent lights, which produce spikes.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Color temperature only makes sense for light which is close to white. Measuring the color temperature of the blue sky will give erratic results, which depends on the approximations chosen for the underlying maths: Correlated color temperature. The same is true for fluorescent lights, which produce spikes.
I suspected something like that but had no reference! Thanks for the clarification.

Do you use a color meter of any kind?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Do you use a color meter of any kind?
The main functions of the Minolta color meters are built into my Sony A900.
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The main functions of the Minolta color meters are built into my Sony A900.

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Sony has really used Minolta technology well. Do you also see Konica DNA in any of the Sony offerings too?

Do you think that the Minolta meter functions are in the A7 series cameras too?

Asher