Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Color Management Discussion > CM Theory and Practice

CM Theory and Practice Profiles, color spaces, perception, science.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM

Default Processing for the consumer screen.

Hi,

We all of course have calibrated screens, work in controlled lighting, etc. Our screens are far from the general consumers.

However, many of us are presenting our work not as prints but for viewing on screen. Whether it be a wedding slideshow, a virtual tour for a potential buyer of a property, etc.

As a baseline I have always processed for print as default. In other words accurately. However given certain comments on my images by consumers I'm seriously thinking of building an action/preset and applying it to all 'web' images to bring it more in line with what a consumer will see as pleasing. Given that most consumer screens are heavily over bright/contrasty and very blue in colour this would 'correct' the true rendition to something darker and warmer so that it would be more pleasing.

I can't be the first who is looking to do this on a widespread basis, can anyone fill me in on what the industry is doing? Movies for example are presented based on a far brighter screen than print accurate in my experience. There must be an industry standard for this kind of thing, a default rendition that has been proven to be a good default relative to the consumer screen, not one of which is either accurate or indeed similar to the next one.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Ben,

What a great idea, to customize your output, beyond sRGB. One might look at the choices for HP printers and have choices like "Vivid", "Reserved", "painterly".

Actually, the choice they make will simply bring up a different set of files.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM

There is as yet no industry solution to this issue, the industry in terms of color managed displays and web browsing is pretty dysfunctional and in flux. Best you can do is upload images in sRGB and hope for the best, hope that at least some users are calibrating their displays (properly) and viewing those images in a web browser or application that is color managed.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM

Problem is that most punters aren't viewing on a calibrated screen or even close to one. I think perhaps even a darken action to try and compensate for those 'center of nuclear explosion' bright consumers screens might be in order at least?
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
Problem is that most punters aren't viewing on a calibrated screen or even close to one. I think perhaps even a darken action to try and compensate for those 'center of nuclear explosion' bright consumers screens might be in order at least?
Ben,

What about my idea of giving versions?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM

Hi, Asher,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
What about my idea of giving versions?
Would these attempt to precompensate for various conjectured improper display responses or viewing environments at the viewer's end?

Sort of like ordering a tablecloth for a 48" diameter table. The vendor would ship several, to accommodate how big 48" was at your house.

Best regards,

Doug
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM

What for? When I provide a VT to a realtor he doesn't want 2 versions one of which will be irrellevant for 99% of his clientele, he wants something that looks good on his website, is simple to use and not confusing. With 100% (non photo conscious) consumer based viewing in mind, why would we process 'calibrated' in the first place?
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
What for? When I provide a VT to a realtor he doesn't want 2 versions one of which will be irrellevant for 99% of his clientele, he wants something that looks good on his website, is simple to use and not confusing. With 100% (non photo conscious) consumer based viewing in mind, why would we process 'calibrated' in the first place?
Why do you think HP gives options for consumer printing, like "vvid". That makes up for the folks lousy over-bright screens when the first print looks flat! You can have a simple option too. don't make t seem such a big deal. Have your best version and a vivid bright one. how easy is that. Maybe just show the two version to your client and ask which they like best.

Asher

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM

Hi, Ben,

Quote:
But how will you determine what "irregular" display profile you will use to get the best impact on the greatest numbers of actual viewers. Sounds like a very large field survey would be needed. (Thus I guess your question, "has somebody already done this", to which the follow-on would be, "and will they tell us their conclusions"?)

Best regards,

Doug
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Why do you think HP gives options for consumer printing, like "vvid". That makes up for the folks lousy over-bright screens when the first print looks flat! You can have a simple option too. don't make t seem such a big deal. Have your best version and a vivid bright one. how easy is that. Maybe just show the two version to your client and ask which they like best.

Asher
People like options for printing, they want choices of look. When someone looks at pictures of a house they will potentially buy they want to see a house, not choose from 5 different ways to view it.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
People like options for printing, they want choices of look. When someone looks at pictures of a house they will potentially buy they want to see a house, not choose from 5 different ways to view it.
where is this going to be shown. In the realtor's office. Then you can customize it for that screen. On the web, use browser-safe colors in sRGB; that's all you can do. Netscape and the other main browser do this too. Not needed using an imac or Dell or other modern computer!

Asher

Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:36 PM

Nope, for realtors to put on their website. Will be seen worldwide, they sell to a lot of international clients.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
On the web, use browser-safe colors in sRGB; that's all you can do.
I don't think that "browser-safe colors" apply to jpeg files.

As to saving for the web, photoshop has had a menu "save for web" for some time. It does just that.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
I don't think that "browser-safe colors" apply to jpeg files.

As to saving for the web, photoshop has had a menu "save for web" for some time. It does just that.
.... and, I believe, chooses web-safe colors!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
.... and, I believe, chooses web-safe colors!
I don't think so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:40 AM

I believe that the terms "web-safe" and "browser-safe" apply only to indexed colour images such as GIF.

Regards,

Stuart