• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Muse Visits! Kate: Holmby Park and more!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I met Kate waiting by the lights to cross the road in Beverly Hills and introduced myself. Now she is collaborating with me and is proving to be a most inspiring muse!

We have started to work together in Holmby Park in Westwood, (I think I saw Prince Harry and Kate there a month ago) with the aim of catching the last of the fall of yellow leaves by a favorite tree that makes a yellow carpet once a year.

However, today, I was just caught by the site of Kate passing by this tree and decided that this would be worth trying in B&W. So that's how I work by impulse. I still do what was on my itinerary but other shots get added along the way.

_MG_9661_Colorand B&W_Master600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate in Holmby Park

Canon 6D, 50mm f1.2L, 160 ISO

I'll follow with color pictures including the yellow leaves, shortly.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I must learn your technique, Asher. If I walked up to a beautiful lady in the street and introduced myself I'd be hit twice and taken away by the police or ambulance, whichever came first.
Mind you, I have had a few women ask to have their picture taken, namely, a prostitute in Saigon, a ladyboy in Denpasar, a bag lady in Sydney, a drunk teenager in Stockport and a 6 year old in the local park.
And the very idea of one becoming a muse is quite beyond me. Do you use the "I'm a doctor and you can trust me" line or the " my wife (doesn't) understands me" line.?
I've had people throw stones at me for photographing their dog.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
As for the photo, not my choice I'm afraid. All a bit romantic and stereotyped. Nice for her album to show the grand kids in a few years time. A simple portrait. Whenever I see your portraits I get the feeling they are a bit posed. There isn't a relaxed feeling from the model or the photographer. It's like you have a set of rules you are guided by that over ride spontaneity. I'm sure the photos are technically proficient as would be expected form you.
This isn't about raising the bar but altering your perspective.
Then again, this may well be the look you want.

Asher Kelman

I must learn your technique, Asher.

Tom,

It baffles me too! Why do some folk have oil in their backyard and never have work? These questions have always been beyond me.

_MG_9661color_C1_PP.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate by Holmby Park Tree

Canon 6D 50mm 1.2L 160 ISO

This is for her family! It's meant to be sweet and sassy, that's the standard. There are many more pictures intended for processing for my portfolio, and they are in various styles and examples will be shared with you, in due course. :)

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

It baffles me too! Why do some folk have oil in their backyard and never have work? These questions have always been beyond me.

_MG_9661color_C1_PP.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate by Holmby Park Tree

Canon 6D 50mm 1.2L 160 ISO

This is for her family! It's meant to be sweet and sassy, that's the standard. There are many more pictures intended for processing for my portfolio, and they are in various styles and examples will be shared with you, in due course. :)

Asher

I look forward to seeing them.

James Lemon

I discovered Kate waiting by the lights to cross the road in Beverly Hills and introduced myself. Now she is working with me and is proving to be a most inspiring muse!

We have started to work together in Holmby Park in Westwood, (I think I saw Prince Harry and Kate there a month ago) with the aim of catching the last of the fall of yellow leaves by a favorite tree that makes a yellow carpet once a year.

However, today, I was just caught by the site of Kate passing by this tree and decided that this would be worth trying in B&W. So that's how I work by impulse. I still do what was on my itinerary but other shots get added along the way.

I'll follow with color pictures including the yellow leaves, shortly.

Asher

Beautiful Asher!

Asher Kelman

Beautiful Asher!

_MG_4886PP_11_K in shade_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: A sister Arrives!

Thanks, Jim. Kate is a wonderful young lady and a delight to work with. Her sister visited so I photographed the two of them together as a gift. I really enjoy seeing such a loving relationship with family.

Asher

James Lemon

Thanks, Jim. Kate is a wonderful young lady and a delight to work with. Her sister visited so I photographed the two of them together as a gift. I really enjoy seeing such a loving relationship with family.

Asher

That's what the world needs is more Love.

Asher Kelman

Each day, before a shoot in the park, when Kate arrives we discuss todays work and have coffee and my wife provides the breakfast. The early morning southern light by the window is too wonderful too miss.

_MG_7037-3FRUIT copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate by the Kitchen Window

Southern Light, morning December 2013

Canon 6D ACR CC and Topaz Filter

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher

Excellent. Color detracts from the main subject..to me at least.

Asher Kelman

Excellent. Color detracts from the main subject..to me at least.

That's true, Fahim, especially here. She's better integrated with her stalwart tree!

.....but a lot of folks enjoy the signals of color.

To me color very often can be a distraction as in both wild animals and humans, its part of a disguise. It's designed to hide, deceive or intimidate us at the least and decorate and seduce at the very best. Still, color is wonderful in many circumstances and allows fanciful games or spells to be cast with a glance!

Thanks for dropping by :)

Asher

James Lemon

Each day, before a shoot in the park, when Kate arrives we discuss todays work and have coffee and my wife provides the breakfast. The early morning southern light by the window is too wonderful too miss.

_MG_7037-3FRUIT copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate by the Kitchen Window

Southern Light, morning December 2013

Canon 6D ACR CC and Topaz Filter

Asher

This looks like a very peaceful place just to hang out and day dream or collect your thoughts for the day ahead and chat with a wonderful guest.

Asher Kelman

This looks like a very peaceful place just to hang out and day dream or collect your thoughts for the day ahead and chat with a wonderful guest.

Jim,

I just installed this pair of windows to bring in the morning light and it brings magic with it - now a favorite spot for still life or portraits! A great window is such a wonderful quality of life investment in everyday life as it really lifts the mood.

Asher