• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Abandoned Couch: A series

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We dispose of so much! Sometimes it's rather obvious to everyone that we've made a mistake. I was driving south, away from the Hollywood Hills and saw this on a side street.

_R075520.jpg

Asher Kelman: The Abandoned Couch

Los Angleles 2014

I wanted to bring her home, but as usual, in such matters, my wife threatened great displeasure! Not being something I could easily hide, I did not take this home. Still, I felt I had to own it is some small way. So hence the photographs.

Asher

Antonio Correia

It is a shame to dispose so much indeed. The society is based on consumption.

Here at home, (my home) we are not ashamed of collecting anything that we think it is interesting. Obviously in Portugal people do not dispose as much as you do even you also have poor people in the USA.

But I recall when we were in there, my wife and my daughter in law they have collected 2 seats from the dust bin. They were correct and I know they still on work ! LOL

It was a bargain ! :)

Asher Kelman

It is a shame to dispose so much indeed. The society is based on consumption.

Here at home, (my home) we are not ashamed of collecting anything that we think it is interesting. Obviously in Portugal people do not dispose as much as you do even you also have poor people in the USA.

But I recall when we were in there, my wife and my daughter in law they have collected 2 seats from the dust bin. They were correct and I know they still on work ! LOL

It was a bargain ! :)

Antonio,

That story resonates with me. When we were first married, bookcases for our crowd were routinely made of concrete blocks and boards. Chairs came from the alleys behind big homes near their garbage bins. My best chair was abandoned on a sidewalk. It was a rocking chair with round wooden side arms and a beat up seat. I used a sheet of foam, brass tacks and some modern striped fabric to reupholster the chair, the wood sanded and beautifully repainted jet black. This was my star piece of furniture for over 20 years!

Asher

fahim mohammed

A wonderful find Asher. Would make for a wonderful theme!!

But what people throw away does depend greatly, I would argue, is closely related to the economic and cultural environment.

Not to digress; but this is Hollywood after all :)

Best.

Jarmo Juntunen

I feel outraged by people's ignorance towards their surroundings, be it the great outdoors or built and engineered urban environment. This picture serves as a nice opening for a series - are doing a series as your title suggests?

Asher Kelman

I feel outraged by people's ignorance towards their surroundings, be it the great outdoors or built and engineered urban environment. This picture serves as a nice opening for a series - are doing a series as your title suggests?

Thanks Jarmo as well as Fahim, Rachel, Antonio and everyone else who as visited. I will shortly add the pictures I already shot, but did not process, to make the opening set for this series.

Asher

I have to find a new couch after that, as while I failed to persuade my wife to accept the asylum status of the couch, it was kidnapped and no one knows where it has been stashed.

Will Thompson

We dispose of so much! Sometimes it's rather obvious to everyone that we've made a mistake. I was driving south, away from the Hollywood Hills and saw this on a side street.

_R075520.jpg

Los Angleles 2014

I wanted to bring her home, but as usual, in such matters, my wife threatened great displeasure! Not being something I could easily hide, I did not take this home. Still, I felt I had to own it is some small way. So hence the photographs.

Asher

Asher, I like the contrasting curves in the subject and then the rectangles it the white background.

Asher Kelman

Not the same couch.

Jerome,

I commend you on your picture. BTW, I realize my own first picture, should have been corrected to have it orthogonal. Your picture here is at an angle that is bold and definitive and only goes to strengthen your composition, a far more satisfactory composition than my own!

_R075520.jpg

Los Angleles 2014

Why? The angles seen in the wall distract from the couch as the subject. One could claim that the increased "disorder" is an appropriate attribute. However, me culpa I erred! :(.
In my first post, I warned about mistakes, LOL!

......................"Sometimes it's rather obvious to everyone that we've made a mistake."......................

No one, except Nicolas Claris, confronted me about something so obvious!! I admit, that the error was readily correctable in PP!

Asher

What may have been fun, Asher, would have been to put the chair in a pick up and bring it to different locations and take a series of pictures.

I have a friend in Florida that found an abandoned red leather recliner and put it on the back of a truck, brought it into the woods to an old railroad track and plunked it right there on the tracks and took a picture. It's so unusual and makes me think of leaning back in the chair, closing my eyes and letting my mind wander to places, just like the railway track.

Don Ferguson Jr.

What may have been fun, Asher, would have been to put the chair in a pick up and bring it to different locations and take a series of pictures.

I have a friend in Florida that found an abandoned red leather recliner and put it on the back of a truck, brought it into the woods to an old railroad track and plunked it right there on the tracks and took a picture. It's so unusual and makes me think of leaning back in the chair, closing my eyes and letting my mind wander to places, just like the railway track.

Indeed and the guys that post on glamor/nude forum at Canon photography.net could make those couches look a lot better with their hot models. :D
Don

Asher Kelman

Antonia,

What a good find. was this on a small road or the side of a highway? Sad that folk would desecrate the landscape like this. It just takes one lazy selfish person to start degrading the place!

I'd like it also in B&W and then the verdant green will not be so embarrassed!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I am surprised that this fascinating thread, of the soft comfort that held out butts, knew our lovemaking and suffered popcorn, coffee and a drunk hangover more than a few times, is forgotten.

Wel there are plenty of abandoned couches to hunt down and interrogate!

_DSF2609-B & W.jpg

Asher Kelman: Mailbox by Abandoned Couch

January 2018, Rialto California
Fuji GFX GF 32-64mm R LM WR
46.5mm, 1/900 sec, f11, ISO 400
From RAW in PS CC 2018
Nik silver Efex Pro B&W conversion
Wide Tonal Range
Output Shapened Nik Filter

On this occasion, I wanted to look at the structure and the nature of the object rather than the residual beauty of plush colored coverings. I thought that this, like a corpse after many years of decay, is best seen in monochrome, as it fuses more easily with the dull background.

Asher