• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Lighthouse

Robert Watcher

Driving with friends around Georgian Bay today. Connecting while we are home in Ontario for a visit and enjoying the incredible scenery.

AP-20161202-EM106458-Edit.jpg

The Lighthouse

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Driving with friends around Georgian Bay today. Connecting while we are home in Ontario for a visit and enjoying the incredible scenery.

The Lighthouse

Enjoyable, Robert my friend. I think not brightening the foreground was a great decision!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
This seems to be a flimsy structure compared to those I have seen in the UK and here in Oz.

Are they still working?

It seems, by the look of the countryside, they might have been placed to prevent ships from getting bogged more than washed onto rocks.

What sort of age are we talking?

Nice shot, Robert.

Cheers

Tom

Robert Watcher

This seems to be a flimsy structure compared to those I have seen in the UK and here in Oz.

Are they still working?

It seems, by the look of the countryside, they might have been placed to prevent ships from getting bogged more than washed onto rocks.

What sort of age are we talking?

Nice shot, Robert.

Cheers

Tom

The Great Lakes are lined with Lighthouses. The lakes contain thousands of huge commercial cargo ships. The waters get very rough. Historians say around 10,000 such ships has been sunk with 10's of thousands of human casualties. One famous song by Gordon Lightfoot was about "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

-------

Asher Kelman

The Lighthouse

Robert,

Had to return to this beauty. It is a mystery why folk that build, essentially working "semi-industrial" structures like this, that they take pains to design and build forms so pleasant to the eye. Or is it happenstance and form merely follow function and that ends us up with a beautiful result?

Or does the presence of the lighthouse keeper's home influence the entire project so the architect seeks harmony with nature?

Often these are made of local stone. here it's made of wood. (Some bridges are still made of wood, but these don't last. They could have used steel as in a common water tower, but this would demand constant repainting.

Still, do they purposely add in beauty or is this just what the most efficient form ends up looking like?

Asher

Asher Kelman

A couple variations of the same lighthouse that I took today on a beautiful crisp winter morning:

DF349FBA-AC2A-491E-9BA5-DAF81C88E4C8.jpg

This one, Robert, is my favorite. It is simpler and has no distractions, although the design of the other one is a little more thoughtful.

How far is this from your home?

Do you have 4 wheel drive?

Asher

Robert Watcher

DF349FBA-AC2A-491E-9BA5-DAF81C88E4C8.jpg

This one, Robert, is my favorite. It is simpler and has no distractions, although the design of the other one is a little more thoughtful.

How far is this from your home?

Do you have 4 wheel drive?

Asher

About 20 minutes drive. No 4 wheel drive, but good snow tires lol.

Taken with my iPhone. I have started using the 3 second timer for taking pics on the phone - especially makes sephies a lot easier. So I counted the rotation of light in the lighthouse in mississippis, until it faced my direction, and then fired 3 before that count on the next rotation.

————————

Asher Kelman

About 20 minutes drive. No 4 wheel drive, but good snow tires lol.

Taken with my iPhone. I have started using the 3 second timer for taking pics on the phone - especially makes sephies a lot easier. So I counted the rotation of light in the lighthouse in mississippis, until it faced my direction, and then fired 3 before that count on the next rotation.

————————

Hint, use Ansel-Adamses instead of Mississippi so you will get better grey scale, LOL!