• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Safari 3.1 for windows released

Cem_Usakligil

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I am downloading it right now to give it a go on my XP. I use Opera for browsing so I am not haivng high expectations of Safari but who knows ;-).

Cheers,

Cem

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Wasn't there a security warning for Safari - both on Mac and this week for Windows?!

Let's be honest - old-time Opera user I am - Safari hasn't brought anything to Web browsing the Norwegians [and then the Mozilla guys and dolls] haven't done long before. Except colour management. Begging the question: Who exactly needs CM in a Web browser?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Wasn't there a security warning for Safari - both on Mac and this week for Windows?!

Let's be honest - old-time Opera user I am - Safari hasn't brought anything to Web browsing the Norwegians [and then the Mozilla guys and dolls] haven't done long before. Except colour management. Begging the question: Who exactly needs CM in a Web browser?

Hi Dierk

I guess most of us! you cannot imagine how many pictures are posted in OPF and not being sRGB (the only color space well rendered when you don't have CM…)!

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Sorry Nicolas, since most browsers are not CM'ed at all, they do not show colours in any space but the monitor's own. If the monitor can do more [most can] than sRGB, these colours are used. If the monitor reproduces less colours than sRGB contains, the photos are shown with less. Like, if you use a b/w monitor you won't seesRGB colours; same in the other direction, if a photo contains other colours than sRGB and your monitor, say one of those fancy NECs with >aRGB spaces, you'll see these colours through a browser.

Regardless, my question stands. Be aware that I find the term 'soft proof' extremely irritating.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I find the term 'soft proof' extremely irritating
That's a minimum with l a ton of flees! LoL

they do not show colours in any space but the monitor's own
they just show them wrong if the image has been prepared with Adobre RGB or any other non sRGB profile…

Dierk Haasis

pro member
they just show them wrong if the image has been prepared with Adobre RGB or any other non sRGB profile…

Unless the monitor profile contains the same colours as the pic's.

On another note, I compared several profiles with many images, especially aRGB, sRGB and ProPhotoRGB [thrown in Bruce and two others, which are completely uninteresting]. Turns out you need huge differences to really count. If your photo is in ProPhoto and you look at it in a browser the difference is obvious even if you cannot compare directly [right against wrong]. sRGB and aRGB are so close, identical in most areas with slight differences in favour of both, depending on which colour region you look at, it shouldn't often matter, even with direct comparison. I grant exception to all ... perfectionists*.

Oh, if you work in CMYK you get into real trouble ...

*Put in the appropriate but not necessarily forum-save psychological term if you don't like perfectionists.

John_Nevill

I suppose it depends upon what type of LCD screen you are using.

I have a wideRGB LCD screen and sRGB images are rendered terribly in a non CM browser.

I have enabled CM in Firefox 3 and assuming web images are saved with an appropriate profile, I now see them properly.