• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Not OK

Doug Kerr

Fahim writes (in a providently-closed thread herein):

. . .If people of below average intelligence, such as me, demean, insult and degrade others on this forum.

Fahim, it is not even OK for you to characterize yourself as being "of below average intelligence", even as satire!

Best regards,

Doug
Just an old telephone engineer

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

That is self evident! I am used to Fahim's under statements as strong leverages to any false attitudes we might have, LOL. Most of the folk here are above average intelligence. That's why it's important that the latter is used to foster debate on issues that elevate us. I am not eschewing strong critique, but our intent is that we should bring out the best expression here. It is so easy to destroy but harder to probe non-destructively. That is what I aim for.

I see the best parts in everyone. That is why I have, (sometimes maddeningly), infinite patience for folk to get the message as to how to react to others on a different journey that pass by us again and again.

I am not blind to negative strains but privately try to get folk to be respectful and help build this community.

But I am still a captain in training!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Doug,

That is self evident! I am used to Fahim's under statements as strong leverages to any false attitudes we might have, LOL. Most of the folk here are above average intelligence. That's why it's important that the latter is used to foster debate on issues that elevate us. I am not eschewing strong critique, but our intent is that we should bring out the best expression here. It is so easy to destroy but harder to probe non-destructively. That is what I aim for.

I see the best parts in everyone. That is why I have, (sometimes maddeningly), infinite patience for folk to get the message as to how to react to others on a different journey that pass by us again and again.

I am not blind to negative strains but privately try to get folk to be respectful and help build this community.

All well said. Thank you.

But I am still a captain in training!

As is your vessel!

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Fahim writes (in a providently-closed thread herein):

Fahim, it is not even OK for you to characterize yourself as being "of below average intelligence", even as satire!

Best regards,

Doug
Just an old telephone engineer

'Such as I' , not 'me', but who is quibbling.

Intelligence is only one marker for behavior and ability. Other factors come in to play when application is required, or new learning is desired.
Emotional, social, mechanical, spacial, verbal intelligence are also factors.
Also worth considering is core beliefs, culture and phychological processes.

Pronouncing your own 'intelligence' isn't a wise move. Some might me bought to agree, believe or deny such a measure. Depending on the function of the self-appraisal, the outcome might not be what is desired.

When asked, most people will say they are either below or above the norm. Believe none of them until you have seen the numbers and witnessed it for yourself.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

'Such as I' , not 'me', but who is quibbling.

An understandable error from one for whom neither English nor 'Strine is the native language.

Note that in many languages (French, German), in such a construction, the objective (not nominative) case is used for the predicate pronoun - "c'est moi", or more to the point, "comme moi". Thus it is easy to make that error in English.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

An understandable error from one for whom neither English nor 'Strine is the native language.

Note that in many languages (French, German), in such a construction, the objective (not nominative) case is used for the predicate pronoun - "c'est moi", or more to the point, "comme moi". Thus it is easy to make that error in English.

Best regards,

Doug

Just like an engineer to dismantle the joke to see if there is something to redesign.

I need a better audience, or perhaps a more intelligent one.

Xxx