• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Purple Gallinule

Chris Calohan

33386382184_304a40ee9c_b_d.jpg

Purple Gallinule with an Apple Snail: Chris Calohan​

Chris Calohan

Getting one with an Apple Snail is a rare treat and you just have to be there to get the shot. It will grab the meat and then hold the shell down with those powerful clawed feet and rip the meat from the shell.

In full bloom, a Purple Gallinule will show almost every color in the rainbow.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Getting one with an Apple Snail is a rare treat and you just have to be there to get the shot. It will grab the meat and then hold the shell down with those powerful clawed feet and rip the meat from the shell.

That seems so obvious, now you mention it! I was locked into thinking of the beak and tongue and was missing a rock to smash it open! I have seen gulls drop sand crabs on to rocks to crack them open.

In full bloom, a Purple Gallinule will show almost every color in the rainbow.

33386382184_304a40ee9c_b_d.jpg

Purple Gallinule with an Apple Snail: Chris Calohan​

Already so beautiful!

I am always astonished that it is worthwhile to be noticeable, when there are enemies out there ready to swoop down and finish you off!

The field mouse is hunted by owls and Hawks, so it is the color of the earth, almost invisible. It has to be very fertile to have more offspring than the predator devours.

But these colored birds wear Joseph's bright coat of many colors and get away with that exuberance!

Asher