• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Frozen Back Door: Outside, Inside

back_door__outside__inside_by_rufusthered-dby6pul.jpg

Why consider a frozen back door and what it signifies? Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

I had never imagined that. In all the snow storms I havecexperienc d from Boston, Massachusetts to Rochester, New York, I haven't seen a frozen door! It must be some defect that allowed water to get into the locking mechanism and/hinges. I guess this can happen if the heat in the building is allowed to turn off!

Asher

Why consider a frozen back door and what it signifies? Cheers, Mike

Antonio Correia

The door is not perfectly closed because a paper (newspaper ?) in inserted to prevent so.

It is also cold inside. Perhaps from an abandoned building... however, the light is on inside...

It looks like the door is made of 2 different materials. One inside and another outside.

It is an interesting perspective of an aperture... I never thought of this before.

Mike,

I had never imagined that. In all the snow storms I havecexperienc d from Boston, Massachusetts to Rochester, New York, I haven't seen a frozen door! It must be some defect that allowed water to get into the locking mechanism and/hinges. I guess this can happen if the heat in the building is allowed to turn off!

Asher

The scene is from our annual post-Xmas jaunt to Wisconsin and Minnesota, Asher. The temperature on arrival was -30C, which equals -22F. The door is a back entrance to our hotel. That day, part of the hotel's heating system broke down. Because the region adjacent to the door includes a large swimming pool, a combination of heat loss and high humidity contributed to frost on its inner surface, in addition to
the frozen exterior.

The door is not perfectly closed because a paper (newspaper ?) in inserted to prevent so.

It is also cold inside. Perhaps from an abandoned building... however, the light is on inside...

It looks like the door is made of 2 different materials. One inside and another outside.

It is an interesting perspective of an aperture... I never thought of this before.

The hotel was far from abandoned, Antonio, but packed with guests. The management handled the heating problem effectively, such that nobody shivered inside their rooms.

You're right that the door was only partly closed, with a towel used to prevent closure. This was presumably so that the door would not freeze shut.

However, the appearance of different interior and exterior materials is misleading, with the white interior due entirely to frost.

i'm glad you appreciated the perspective. I hadn't thought it out until it so forcibly appeared before me.

Finally, I pondered symbolic meanings for the image before going with a simple physical description for the title. Does a back door perspective enable more realistic understanding than access though the front doors of received wisdom? When is it better to conceptualize from an inner to outer perspective rather than the reverse? When inner and outer conditions deviate from customary limits or relationships, had we better react by fighting, fleeing or freezing? Do any of the preceding relate to major concerns of our time? Cheers, Mike