• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Our Peacock

Graeme McKellar

We live on acres and one day around a year ago we had a male peacock turn up and decided he liked our place and would live with our chickens. Our poor Rooster did not know what to make of this new threat to his harem as he proudly showed off his magnificent tail to the unfazed chickens.
Sadly he died a few months ago from a snake-bite we think, but I managed a few photos while he was with us.

DSC_4719.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Our Peacock

DSC_4716.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Our Peacock​

Cheers Graeme.

StuartRae

Hi Graeme,

Crop out the tail spots far left and right in #2 and you have a perfect mirror image. Wonderful!

He was probably assassinated by the jealous cockerel.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We live on acres and one day around a year ago we had a male peacock turn up and decided he liked our place and would live with our chickens. Our poor Rooster did not know what to make of this new threat to his harem as he proudly showed off his magnificent tail to the unfazed chickens.
Sadly he died a few months ago from a snake-bite we think, but I managed a few photos while he was with us.

DSC_4719.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Our Peacock

DSC_4716.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Our Peacock​

Cheers Graeme.

He is so amazing, Graeme!

Almost like the marking of a butterfly. How handsome nature makes the males, just to get a better chance of mating. No going shopping to spiff up, just have to make do and strut your stuff! Bad choice with those chickens!

So did he walk in or can they fly too?

Asher

Graeme McKellar

Hi Asher,
He could not fly as such but could fly in short bursts to roost in a tree or onto our garage roof .
When he turned up he had no tail and we thought he had been attacked by dogs but later learned that they moult their tail yearly and grow a new one for the spring mating season.
He used to sleep in our neighbours potting shed on the end of their shadehouse and would go over there late in the afternoon and they would feed him then he would be at our chookhouse every morning for breakfast, he then would roost on our garage roof till we let the chooks out for a pick around the yard around 2pm and he would strut around showing off his wonderfull tail to them but if the rooster or our dog got to close he would shake his tail menacingly at them.
We grew to love him and were saddened by his sudden death. I had just started looking for a female for him.
Cheers Graeme.