• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My furry Babies

Meagan Rivard

These are what get me out of bed in the morning even when I don't want to.

IMG_1844.jpg

DSC_0029_zps5201b02f.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Lacy.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Meagan,

Welcome to you and your furry friends! I like the idea of having a ready supply of animal pictures. We have a long relationship with both canines and horses!

We'll really enjoy your work.

Asher

Meagan Rivard

LOL Asher. My dogs and horses make up the base of my life so I have TONS of pictures around. I can't show you what I consider to be my best shots of my dogs because I hunt with them, and they have a very high potential to offend some. But yes, you will frequently be seeing pictures of them as they are my favorite subjects.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
LOL Asher. My dogs and horses make up the base of my life so I have TONS of pictures around. I can't show you what I consider to be my best shots of my dogs because I hunt with them, and they have a very high potential to offend some. But yes, you will frequently be seeing pictures of them as they are my favorite subjects.

What do you hunt? Deer?

It's truly part of being human to hunt!

Some do it with just a camera, stealing copies of people from a distance or others do it as salesmen, selling lap-band surgeries or cars full of gadgets. Some folk have no idea how peas get into a can or meat jumps in to a hamburger machine!

Still, I agree, any really truthful exposés of our basic animal qualities can be considered offensive, as we are too well mannered to look to see how primitive we really are! So be selective in sparing us what will likely be seen as cruelty. However, there must be beauty, even in this hunt for food, or is it sport, as in the U.K. with guys dressed up in some puffed up quasi military costumes, brass horns and all!

Asher

Meagan Rivard

I do deer hunt, however, I use my dogs to hunt wild pigs. It's known as Hog Dogging. Before you ask, the sh*t you see on TV is exactly that.. sh*t... Very little about those shows are real and show anything close to what I do.

As far as pictures, well it's a well known fact that you don't show them in public for fear of ridicule so that's not something that you have to worry about.

fahim mohammed

I do deer hunt, however, I use my dogs to hunt wild pigs. It's known as Hog Dogging. Before you ask, the sh*t you see on TV is exactly that.. sh*t... Very little about those shows are real and show anything close to what I do.

As far as pictures, well it's a well known fact that you don't show them in public for fear of ridicule so that's not something that you have to worry about.

I know I want to say something..

Yes. A very warm welcome to OPF Meagan.

Best.

Meagan Rivard

I know I want to say something..

Yes. A very warm welcome to OPF Meagan.

Best.

Thank you sir.

I have been thinking and looking through my pictures, and I have a few from a competition I took my gyp to last year that I think would be okay to show, but I'm not sure so before I show the series, I'll feel it out with this one picture and see how everyone reacts. This is huge part of my life so I hate keeping it in the dark.

IMG_2220.jpg

I loved that I caught the ripples in her shoulder muscle.

StuartRae

Hi Meagan,

Welcome to OPF.

......... however, I use my dogs to hunt wild pigs.

I was raised on a farm. I used to shoot game birds and my dog used to chase and catch hares and rabbits, so I have no problems with you hunting wild pigs.

However, I find it difficult to describe the image you posted as 'hunting', since it appears from the wire fence that the pig is in an enclosed area.

Even so, I'm not upset by the image as some more sensitive people might be. You say it's a competition, so maybe you could explain the rules?

Regards,

Stuart

Meagan Rivard

Hi Meagan,

Welcome to OPF.

I was raised on a farm. I used to shoot game birds and my dog used to chase and catch hares and rabbits, so I have no problems with you hunting wild pigs.

However, I find it difficult to describe the image you posted as 'hunting', since it appears from the wire fence that the pig is in an enclosed area.

Even so, I'm not upset by the image as some more sensitive people might be. You say it's a competition, so maybe you could explain the rules?

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart, the competition that Grace was in at the time of the picture is called a baying. It is simply a way to show off how well our dogs can handle themselves while working a pig, much like sheep or cattle herding. It is very common for ASPCA or HSUS to say that we allow our dogs to maul or kill the pigs. That is simply not true. There is a 3 second hold rule, which means that if the pig breaks and runs our dogs have permission to nip it to a stop, but must let go. If they do not, then they are disqualified and banned from future competitions. Other than that, their job is to simply get the pig stopped and then keep it stopped by barking at it, called baying. They are in a 60' round pen which is the smallest enclosure used. They can go upwards of 5 acres. You are judged at how well your dog is able to keep the pig in one spot, and how often and how loud your dog barks. The hogs are protected by the 3 second rule, and the dogs are protected by special collars, vests, and the fact that we grind their tusks off much like a dentist does your tooth before putting a crown on. 99% of your true hunters use bay competitions to train their dogs in a stable environment on how to handle themselves around a pig that can't kill them before hunting ones that can.

Hunting with dogs, well there is WAY to much to try and explain but it is by far the #1 best was to remove wild hogs.

StuartRae

Hi Meagan,

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting about the 'nipping', because in sheep dog trials a dog is penalised if it 'grips'. Of course in real life this is how a dog controls an obstinate sheep.

Hunting with dogs, well there is WAY to much to try and explain but it is by far the #1 best was to remove wild hogs.

Same over here with foxes, despite what the anti-hunting lobby would say. It's a clean and quick kill compared with traps, poison and (inaccurate) shooting.

Regards,

Stuart

Meagan Rivard

Hi Meagan,

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting about the 'nipping', because in sheep dog trials a dog is penalised if it 'grips'. Of course in real life this is how a dog controls an obstinate sheep.

Regards,

Stuart

Exactly. Hog Dogs are the same way. If a hog breaks in the wild, a dog had better get a good hold and shut it down, but in competition it is penalized.