• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gazania colorful UV

Dr Klaus Schmitt

8003472852_10315f2db9_o.jpg

an experiment with a selfmade quartz lens...

Dr Klaus Schmitt

It’s the bg swirl!

Was it sharpened?

I am wondering how it would look untouched by edge enhancement!

Asher

No special sharpening applied, only to compensate for resizing a little bit.
That Quartz lens stepped down is quite sharp in ints center!

Here is the whole series with various aperture settings:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2012/09/gazania-rigens-quartz-singlet-lens-for_19.html

That rapid sharpness falloff outside the center area and towards VG, BG gives that 3D impression

Here same flower, same lens, at different angle:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2012/09/gazania-rigens-quartz-singlet-lens-for.html

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It looks like you chose the second of the examples you referenced. I like that balance as one doesn’t want the bg too harsh or too soft!

BRW, “contra lucem” is a term more associated with ecclestiastical debate in Latin. So you mean “back lit” it do you mean “reflected light” or what.

Is this more of a poetic term, or commonly used in academic Spectral investigations with biological samples?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

It looks like you chose the second of the examples you referenced. I like that balance as one doesn’t want the bg too harsh or too soft!

BRW, “contra lucem” is a term more associated with ecclestiastical debate in Latin. So you mean “back lit” it do you mean “reflected light” or what.

Is this more of a poetic term, or commonly used in academic Spectral investigations with biological samples?

Asher

Yes, that's the one I selected, exactly because of that - it is balanced for me.

For me, it is "shooting against the light", was discussing this with an Italian
photographer friend many decades ago and he actually tought me this term.
I was using "contra lux", but he had corrected me it should be "contra lucem"

146128978.PaBAsNDV.Gazania_QS_U2_P1470564_c.jpg