• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Pixel Purchase

James Lemon

My new camera and lens will arrive tomorrow. Here in Canada it cost about $100 per megapixel for a camera body in the full frame world of mirrorless cameras. But rather than buy many pixels I decided to just settle with larger pixels instead.

So now I will be entering into the world of the Nikon Z6 & 35-f/1.8 lens attached. I have never shot a Nikon but the camera itself seems intuitive. Based on my limited experience with this camera I think that I will enjoy it.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My new camera and lens will arrive tomorrow. Here in Canada it cost about $100 per megapixel for a camera body in the full frame world of mirrorless cameras. But rather than buy many pixels I decided to just settle with larger pixels instead.

So now I will be entering into the world of the Nikon Z6 & 35-f/1.8 lens attached. I have never shot a Nikon but the camera itself seems intuitive. Based on my limited experience with this camera I think that I will enjoy it.

Best, regards
James

James,

It’s so hard to think that you would slip from an elegant Leica to a humble mass-produced Nikon. Why, the Leica is so well built and the lenses are stellar. That means ability to crop, files that are robust and likely as not with your largexaoerture lenses, low noise!

So why would you do it?

Is it that the Nikon is less of an obvious target for thieves?

Or this is just for casual times and on the beach when the Leica could easilly get dietybor danaged?

Asher

James Lemon

James,

It’s so hard to think that you would slip from an elegant Leica to a humble mass-produced Nikon. Why, the Leica is so well built and the lenses are stellar. That means ability to crop, files that are robust and likely as not with your largexaoerture lenses, low noise!

So why would you do it?

Is it that the Nikon is less of an obvious target for thieves?

Or this is just for casual times and on the beach when the Leica could easilly get dietybor danaged?

Asher

Hi Asher

I like the ability to have auto focus but mainly I don't have to have the lenses calibrated to the camera. That is one of the advantages of mirrorless cameras. Not a big deal with a DSLR but still some lenses can't be calibrated to the body. With Leica it means sending it to the mother-ship and it may take up to six months or more to get your gear back.

The compactness of leica can't be beat but they are not light cameras. I feel that I can make a larger variety of pictures with autofocus as opposed to manual and zone focusing techniques. Plus numerous other features yet to be discovered. Oh yes Nikon has a 5 year warranty as apposed to one year with most other brands.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Well here is a stunning surprise. Get a Sony Alpha body either APS-C 6500 or the A7RIII

They both have built-in 5-axis image stabilization.

In addition you can buy from TechartPro the most amazing autofocus adapter just for your brilliant unmatched, (except for my GFX G lenses by Fuji, LOal) and have a fully image stabilized AF perfect pixel camera!

Asher

James Lemon

Well here is a stunning surprise. Get a Sony Alpha body either APS-C 6500 or the A7RIII

They both have built-in 5-axis image stabilization.

In addition you can buy from TechartPro] the most amazing autofocus adapter just for your brilliant unmatched, (except for my GFX G lenses by Fuji, LOal) and have a fully image stabilized AF perfect pixel camera!

Asher

Asher

The Zee 6 has image stabilization as well. I have considered Sony but the menu system sucks from what I have understood and the build quality has been mentioned as not being up to snuff. But mainly the most distasteful thing I dislike about Sony is the Color of the camera itself. I never go outside of OEM with regards to everything including my vacuum cleaner. I am stubborn in my ways just ask my wife.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Asher

The Zee 6 has image stabilization as well. I have considered Sony but the menu system sucks from what I have understood and the build quality has been mentioned as not being up to snuff.

Simply not true. I have purchased 4 bodies. All solid as a rock. Perfect assembly and finish. My pictures have competed well against the 80MP Phase One! Color can be matched to any set by following colorists ideas from cinematography. You can get the palette of Canon, Leica or whatever you wish!

But mainly the most distasteful thing I dislike about Sony is the Color of the camera itself. I never go outside of OEM with regards to everything including my vacuum cleaner. I am stubborn in my ways just ask my wife.

Well your wife has a loyal man, indeed!

So you would be able to skip the handouts of prophylactics when you got into port if you were a sailor or engineer on a US Aircraft Carrier visiting Bangkok after 8 months at sea!

I respect that loyalty, but for cameras, I exploit every opportunity to improve my shots!

Still every soften I do return to my home sweetheart, a pinhole camera with 120 mm film!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I reread your initial post, James and now realize that you wrote $100 per MP not a $100 camera, LOL.

Well, of course, that marvelous new Nikon mirrorless system will be simply superb. They took a long time preparing this camera to market and I have no doubt you will be really happy.

Still, you could, with your skills, continue to live in the bespoke Leica Universe. It’s notvif I have ever seen a picture of yours ruined by poor focus!

Asher

James Lemon

Simply not true. I have purchased 4 bodies. All solid as a rock. Perfect assembly and finish. My pictures have competed well against the 80MP Phase One! Color can be matched to any set by following colorists ideas from cinematography. You can get the palette of Canon, Leica or whatever you wish!

Asher

I believe you Asher but its the color of the camera not the profile that I dislike.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

I believe you Asher but its the color of the camera not the profile that I dislike.

Best, regards
James

Are you saying you don’t like the camera body color?

Wow, I once wanted to introduce one of my sons to a really beautiful girl!

One like at the picture and another son dismissed her immediately, “Uni-brow! OMG, Daddy yo have no idea about women.”

Well yes, I hadn’t focused on her eyebrows, but I admit she resembled a famous Mexican Artist and wife, Frihda Kahlo!

Asher

Jerome Marot

But mainly the most distasteful thing I dislike about Sony is the Color of the camera itself.

Amusingly, I find Nikon default colours and lens rendering repulsive, but that is just me.

This being said, may I point out that Sony and Nikon (and the others...) allow to choose built-in modes which change the colour rendering? They are worth trying.

Asher Kelman

Amusingly, I find Nikon default colours and lens rendering repulsive, but that is just me.

I must look at some files from dpreview, then.

This being said, may I point out that Sony and Nikon (and the others...) allow to choose built-in modes which change the colour rendering? They are worth trying.

Cinematographic colorists are able to closely match and transfer any palette. I expect after they finished most of us would be hard pressed to pick out the Sony or Canon moved to Nikon’s uniquely distinctive appearance and emphases.

I would love to see RAW processor have an option to match the color look of a particular file automatically. Perhaps they do and I don’t know about it.

But theoretically, we should be able to have curves that make any output achieve your favorite “look”.

I am not that expert, but you had to shoot with Nikon, you would get up to speed, transforming your pictures to your favorite camera’s “look”, yes, even with a Nikon camera, LOL!

Right now, I can use out of the camera settings, no adjustment of white point or black point or S curves, (just correct for orthogonality) and the output from my GFX from RAW is ready for the client!

But of course I can make adjustments or go to any film look, but I don’t!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Well... I don't have the time to answer this right now, but the short answer is "not really". You can match colours between any two pictures, sure. You can calibrate any two cameras to give the same output under a single given illuminant for any arbitrary large set of colours. But you can't really emulate one camera with another camera. The underlying maths are relatively simple, it is only linear algebra and are pretty boring anyway, so I will skip them for the moment.

Photographically, none of this is really important. What one wants are pleasing colours and these can be obtained with any camera... but with different difficulty levels.

Asher Kelman

I will defer to you Jerome as I have never emulated another camera “look” merely followed the work of colorists.

When you do get more time, any extra detail would be interesting to learn. Is it a matter of certain hues being under represented or absent!

So it might be that remapping is not an exact enough solution, one might need AI as well using a lot of paired images to teach the system.

Asher

James Lemon

Yes it must be your interpretation and perception, not the camera brand. Fortunately we can manipulate these files for as long as they exist.