• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

African Cichlids

Minde Grantham

These are pictures that I took of my fish that are now hanging up in my local fish store. Tank photography can be really challenging but a lot of fun.

IMG_0516-1.jpg

Resizeddiving.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Minde,

Glad to see your new work. I prefer the second one. What is this showering os stones, behavior? I've never seen that before. Are they grabbing a mouthful to get at fungi etc embedded there?

Aquarium photography is indeed a technical challenge for the reasons you mention. Look at some of the work by others here. Here, for example, is just one set of images by fish photographer, Ron Morse. You'll find more by searching under, "Fish Photo" or Ron Morse.

Here's another one by Brandon Jones.

Thanks for sharing,

asher

Clayton Lofgren

I used to operate a sport fishing camp here in Venezuela. Our main attraction was the peacock bass, one of the larger versions of the cichlids. They are much easier to photograph like this.
4d8abef33c1d4497baaab12b5de4b82a.jpg

Minde Grantham

Asher, I have seen Rons work and admire his photos very much! A lot of it is all about the lighting and I haven't at all mastered that part of it. African Cichlids are highly teritorial fish and can be quite aggressive. They like to dig out holes for spawning and hiding from the bigger fish. This is normal behavior for this species.

Clayton, thank you for sharing that photo. All of the peacocks that I have seen max out at about 6-8 inches. Quite a difference in size! Beautiful fish though, was this your catch?

Clayton Lofgren

Not my catch, though I have caught several like it. This one is about six kilos- they get twice that size.
There are several cichlids in the Orinoco and Amazon watersheds. Seems that Lake Chad was once the headwater of the Amazon.

Johan Combrink

I use to keep these fish as well, and when my daughter can along, time was not on my side, so the fish had to go. I still love them and there personalities they have.....good to see some images of these guys.