• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cats Eyes

My mothers beloved cat Flossy. I love her eyes. This has been cropped down from a full body shot.

acy7ts.jpg

Any ideas on how this could have made more of an impact?

Wade

janet Smith

pro member
This has been cropped down from a full body shot.

Hello Wade

Firstly welcome to OPF.

Yes the eyes are amazing, the thing that bothers me about this shot is the crop. I think it would be improved if you left the ears intact, hopefully the ear tips are included in your uncropped version. Perhaps you could post the uncropped version, it might be possible to crop it even lower down, just above the eyes to draw more attention to the eyes, but it might look unbalanced....... hard to say without seeing the full version.

Cem_Usakligil

Hello Wade

Firstly welcome to OPF.

Yes the eyes are amazing, the thing that bothers me about this shot is the crop. I think it would be improved if you left the ears intact, hopefully the ear tips are included in your uncropped version. Perhaps you could post the uncropped version, it might be possible to crop it even lower down, just above the eyes to draw more attention to the eyes, but it might look unbalanced....... hard to say without seeing the full version.
Hi Wade,

I agree with Jan's comments re. the ears. I'd leave the ears in the picture and perhaps crop to a square. Further, I have taken the liberty of editing your picture to show how I think it could be improved further for more impact. I have opened it in photoshop and corrected the wb and added some vibrance. I have then cropped and added local contrast enhancement. Added some highlight to the eyes. And sharpened selectively, especially the eyes.

Original by Wade Skinner
acy7ts.jpg

Cem's edit of Wade Skinner's picture:
wadeskinner_cat.jpg

What do you think? Is this what you were thinking of or is it totally in the wrong direction? :)

Cheers

StuartRae

Hi Wade,

You've caught the eyes really well, but overall the fur has a slight blue cast. A quick "remove color cast" in PS improves things no end and makes the nose and ears a much nicer shade of pink.

Regards,

Stuart

Thanks a lot for the replies. I have recropped the image again as per your requests. I am rather hopeless with editing tools. I am using Photshop Elements 8.

I don't know how to single out the eyes for sharpening and couldn't find anything for changing the white balance....... I'm sure if I spent more time trying to work it out I would but my impatience got the better of me.

kceae9.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks a lot for the replies. I have recropped the image again as per your requests. I am rather hopeless with editing tools. I am using Photshop Elements 8.

I don't know how to single out the eyes for sharpening and couldn't find anything for changing the white balance....... I'm sure if I spent more time trying to work it out I would but my impatience got the better of me.

kceae9.jpg
You are doing very well so far, this version is much better :),

Cheers,

StuartRae

Hi Wade,

I ............ couldn't find anything for changing the white balance...

Enhance | Adjust Color | Remove Color Cast

Then click on something that should be white, or preferably grey. Not as good as getting the WB right in the first place (camera or raw converter) but it usually works OK.

Regards,

Stuart

Sydney Rester

Wade, this is a really striking image. The fact that the cat looks slightly off balance, maybe even a little crazed (and I mean that in a good way) is evoking Tim Burton, Alice in Wonderland, the White Rabbit, etc. I think you did a great job.