• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pike discovered leaves today

Sydney Rester

4285501893_5bf26ccac7_o.jpg

Ah, the joys of being a puppy!​

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

4286243440_b78aef0a7a_o.jpg

Peek-a-boo!​

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Sydney Rester: "Ah, the joys of being a puppy!"

Sydney,

Thanks goodness your dog found the leaves! What an excellent match for it's brown coat. The large leaves have a myriad of colors and we love sienna colors, so now this has a chance to be liked as a picture! I find this picture already enjoyable. Continue working with this motif and explore how you might improve the composition even more. I like the simplicity of it. Try this at dusk and under-expose slightly to get richer colors and also consider either taking the picture from a ladder, (without the shadow going over the dog) or going low to the ground and shooting on its level to make it important in its surroundings.

You have made a major departure from pet pictures as soon as you control the background lighting and texture. Good job, but consider it as the first in a series. I'd love to see what you might develop.

Asher

Note, with this amount of blur, you can afford to have much more of the background included. It doesn't have to be centered. Sketch out various positions for the dog against a large background of leaves and try as many different ways as you can. Cropping tightly is a fashion not a requirement. You can decide whether or not it must be done with your picture to make it work. So, perhaps it's worth considering taking pictures much wider in the first place while you are learning of the possible ways your concept might be materialized.

Sydney Rester

Sydney Rester: "Ah, the joys of being a puppy!"

Sydney,

Thanks goodness your dog found the leaves! What an excellent match for it's brown coat. The large leaves have a myriad of colors and we love sienna colors, so now this has a chance to be liked as a picture! I find this picture already enjoyable. Continue working with this motif and explore how you might improve the composition even more. I like the simplicity of it. Try this at dusk and under-expose slightly to get richer colors and also consider either taking the picture from a ladder, (without the shadow going over the dog) or going low to the ground and shooting on its level to make it important in its surroundings.

You have made a major departure from pet pictures as soon as you control the background lighting and texture. Good job, but consider it as the first in a series. I'd love to see what you might develop.

Asher

Note, with this amount of blur, you can afford to have much more of the background included. It doesn't have to be centered. Sketch out various positions for the dog against a large background of leaves and try as many different ways as you can. Cropping tightly is a fashion not a requirement. You can decide whether or not it must be done with your picture to make it work. So, perhaps it's worth considering taking pictures much wider in the first place while you are learning of the possible ways your concept might be materialized.

Thanks for the feedback, Asher! I do have some wider shots. If I have time tonight I'll post one or two for comparison. I liked these a lot :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sydney,

Wide means that the leaves take up a good portion of the canvas. I'd say twice or more as wide as you show now. Maybe look down from a ladder, but watch the shadow. The idea is to use the texture and varied color of the leaves to balance the shape and colors of your dog.

Try with a stuffed toy and without the dog. Maybe just a teddy bear! Do a composition of the bear with leaves. Then you can go to the puppy!