• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shutter life experiences: 1D Mk II, 1Ds, 1Ds Mk II

Elena Sbrana

Looking for collective wisdom about shutter 'life expectancy'...
What have been your experiences in therm of shutter life with the 1Ds, 1D Mk II, 1Ds Mk II?
I have a 1Ds Mk II around the 160k+ right now, and I'm beginning to wonder how close do we really get to the 'officially expected' 200k prior to needing replacement.
Thanks y'all!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Elena,

Sorry no one has replied as yet! My approach would depend on whether or not I had important shoots scheduled and a reliable backup. At 160,000 the mirror assembly could also go. surprise, you have lots of glass in your camera. So how many cameras do you have and what's your work load? If you have spares adequate for your work, then you can afford to go ahead and "Damn the torpedos!" as the American Civil War admiral said*!

Asher

* Admiral David Glasgow Farragut (1801-1870), the first senior officer of the U.S. Navy at the time of the American Civil War. Aboard Hartford, Farragut entered Mobile Bay, Alabama, 5 August 1864, in two columns, with armored monitors leading and a fleet of wooden ships following. When the lead monitor Tecumseh was demolished by a mine, the wooden ship Brooklyn stopped, and the line drifted in confusion toward Fort Morgan. As disaster seemed imminent, Farragut gave the orders embodied by these famous words. He swung his own ship clear and headed across the mines, which failed to explode. The fleet followed and anchored above the forts, which, now isolated, surrendered one by one. The torpedoes to which Farragut and his contemporaries referred would today be described as tethered mines.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_'Damn_the_torpedoes_Full_speed_ahead'#ixzz1a8qeYIFf

Elena Sbrana

Hi Asher,
thank you. Yes, I do have backup so it should not be a big issue if I do get to failure - just kind of wondering what to expect. A few people I know, also 1D/1Ds users, had the most different experiences, from a 1Ds still rocking past 380k to a 1D MkIII with failed shutter at less than 40k. Weird... I guess it will be "Damn the torpedoes" and we''ll see how it goes.

Looking for collective wisdom about shutter 'life expectancy'...
What have been your experiences in therm of shutter life with the 1Ds, 1D Mk II, 1Ds Mk II?
I have a 1Ds Mk II around the 160k+ right now, and I'm beginning to wonder how close do we really get to the 'officially expected' 200k prior to needing replacement.
Thanks y'all!

Hi Elena,

I've had my 1Ds Mark II shutter replaced (smoothly, DHL pick-up and re-deliver at my location) under warranty (with a 1 year warranty prolongation) for free, as it was considered (by Canon) to be potentially compomised. This was not due to the number of shots taken, but rather due to a recognised manufacturing shortcoming, and the mirror mechanism was also checked/repaired.

My current 1Ds Mark III shutter is beginning to show signs of shutter bounce (100k+ actuations?), at shutter speeds of 1/500s and faster. I suppose it's also due for shutter replacement, although before it's rated average cycles have transpired. It has not completely failed yet, but I wouldn't want that to happen mid-shoot either.

Cheers,
Bart

I had my 1D MkII shutter replaced, preemptively at around 225,000. There was nothing wrong with the shutter at that time I just had a voucher from Canon for $100 off any service that was about to expire.

My 1Ds MkII has around 160,000 actuations and is still going strong and showing no signs of failure. I have seen 1D/1DMkII/1DMkIIN shutters got up to 500,000 before failing.