• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What's your street lens?

Jerome Marot

I always wonder what's the widest street lens one needs. With film, I'd of for 28mm to 35 mm as what one uses is what one gets.

Quite on the opposite I was wondering why people here do not use wider lenses. OK: Nicolas beats us all by using the Sigma 12-24, but while I have used the lens, it is too slow for my liking.

I can understand when people cite a prime as their main street lens. I use that myself from time to time. But I am quite surprised that nobody uses a 16-35 (or the equivalent in half-frame or 4/3 format). Sure, it is a big, heavy lens, but it allows quite a variety of compositions.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting scenes hardly possible with a 50mm and stitching, LOL! Most digicams start at or above 24mm, but one needs wider than that for your first scene, for sure. I admit, my widest lens is the 24 mm Tilt shift for my Eos bodies or the 24-104 zoom.

For my GXR system, there's a 28mm APS C sized sensor unit that I haven't purchased but is reported to be stellar. I'd really love to have this latest GXR lens-sensor unit, (they come as one sealed small cubist unit).

IMG_244824.jpg

Ricoh Lens Unit, A16, 24-85mm f3.5-5.5 Camera Unit #5

Image, BHPhotovideo

"The A16 24-85mm camera unit is the first of the A-sized models to feature optical zoom and it strays from their former prime lens design. This lens features a focal-length range that encompasses the other two lenses and supports wide-angle views, in addition to being an adequate portrait-length lens. Its composition includes 11 elements within 9 groups, including 3 aspherical lens elements. This lens makeup helps to reduce distortions and aberrations significantly across the entire zoom range while improving contrast and color fidelity. It also features 9 rounded aperture blades for producing an aesthetic bokeh."

I own the 24-70 but that's a standard digicam, sensor, and I prefer something at least 4/3 size. I must admit that the Ricoh GXR, at a pinch can even replace a pro DSLR. With utterly silent shooting, it's a marvel, usable where a noisy DSLR would be intrusive.

If I had that 24-85 lens, that would be my street and travel camera period!

Asher

John Wolf

I always wonder what's the widest street lens one needs. With film, I'd of for 28mm to 35 mm as what one uses is what one gets....

The widest I've used is 25mm and I found it wonderful. You can walk right up to someone, focus a little off center, and they aren't even aware you're including them in the shot. If you're used to 50mm, this will be a radical experience, but definitely worth a try.

Not sure I could handle anything wider, but I know some people like 20 and 21mm. Jerome's shot is nice, but the foreground people and buildings on the right are seriously distorted. Especially for a tall person like me that would be an issue.

I'm tempted by the GXR, but there apparently are no fast lens modules, right? On the street that's not usually an issue, but sometimes you need a little more speed.

Thanks for the comment on the Honduras photo, everyone.

John

Jerome Marot

The widest I've used is 25mm and I found it wonderful. You can walk right up to someone, focus a little off center, and they aren't even aware you're including them in the shot.

Such was the case for the guy smoking on the right hand side.

Not sure I could handle anything wider, but I know some people like 20 and 21mm. Jerome's shot is nice, but the foreground people and buildings on the right are seriously distorted.

I tend to like the effect. I find it gives more dynamism to the picture. But then, I never pretended to be a real street photographer.

Especially for a tall person like me that would be an issue.

You can duck (I do). Or you can use one of these cameras with a fold out screen.

Asher Kelman

Now the big question is, does anyone own Leica, Zeiss or other screw mount or M-mount lenses? If that's the case, one can easily put them on a GXR. Yes it's manual focus but there's incredible focus assist.

I have no prestigious lenses like that so, for me, I'm limited to f2.8 modules, and that's fine.

Asher Kelman

Distortions in street photography

I can understand when people cite a prime as their main street lens. I use that myself from time to time. But I am quite surprised that nobody uses a 16-35 (or the equivalent in half-frame or 4/3 format). Sure, it is a big, heavy lens, but it allows quite a variety of compositions.

16 mm

To address this to those who worry about distortions.

This picture is an example where the disorder of the scene is part of the motif and any optical trick to maintain and strengthen that helps to deliver that set of feelings. We interpret this as something taken to stop the action in time for people unprepared to be recorded. So it seems so genuine. We have to get away from even illumination, exact focus and normal projections as standards by which to judge everything. not that any of these are, per se, great to have, but all are valid parameters for the photographer to exploit.

I'd imagine, that correcting the anamorphic and angular distortions in this picture would take away much of the immediate impact. I'm not certain of that, but that's my best guess.

Asher

Mark Hampton

16 mm

To address this to those who worry about distortions.

This picture is an example where the disorder of the scene is part of the motif and any optical trick to maintain and strengthen that helps to deliver that set of feelings. We interpret this as something taken to stop the action in time for people unprepared to be recorded. So it seems so genuine. We have to get away from even illumination, exact focus and normal projections as standards by which to judge everything. not that any of these are, per se, great to have, but all are valid parameters for the photographer to exploit.

I'd imagine, that correcting the anamorphic and angular distortions in this picture would take away much of the immediate impact. I'm not certain of that, but that's my best guess.

Asher
Asher,

viewing anything distorts it to some degree - everything we view is distorted. there is no distortion!

cheers

fahim mohammed

Medium focal lengths: 35mm equivalent..

Zeiss ZF 50/1.5 Planar on a Nikon D700

p666079072.jpg

cron 28 asph on M8

p35768163.jpg

lux 50 asph on M8

p882066014-4.jpg

Zeiss ZF 100/2 Makro Planar on a Nikon D700

p128905046-5.jpg

cron 75/2 APO on a M8 for something special

p1065832591.jpg

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

Do the Zeiss ZF lenses autofocus on the Nikon DSLR? With a rangefinder, one can see when one is in focus through the eye piece and get that fast. With a CanonDSLR, the Zeiss lenses are manual focus and I find them a challenge to focus for street photography.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Unfortunately no.
But I do have the focus confirmation lock-on indicator in the viewfinder which helps to a very large extent.
With my shaky hands and a Zeiss 100/2 mounted, it is now becoming painful!!

Thanks for stopping by Asher.

Fahim,

Do the Zeiss ZF lenses autofocus on the Nikon DSLR? With a rangefinder, one can see when one is in focus through the eye piece and get that fast. With a CanonDSLR, the Zeiss lenses are manual focus and I find them a challenge to focus for street photography.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Unfortunately no.
But I do have the focus confirmation lock-on indicator in the viewfinder which helps to a very large extent.

So is it easier to focus with the M8 or M9? One advantage of the much smaller GXR is that it's lighter and with the M leica module, it has brilliant focus confirmation and is so light. For you it would be amazing as you have all these incredible lenses. Everyone one of them will work!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, Ricoh ( camera division ) does not have a dealership or presence here. If something goes amiss on the Ricoh cam, I am left stranded. Not a plesant thought..and we are not talking small change either.

The other issue ( keeps me awake at nights ), the lure of a full frame M. Definitely not a need. But
one lives only once. No? And I did skip the M9 ( P )!

Stay happy Asher.

p.s. With the 35 and 50 Zeiss, it is much easier for me than the 100mm. But with an M, it is the easiest of the two, even with these old eyes.

So is it easier to focus with the M8 or M9? One advantage of the much smaller GXR is that it's lighter and with the M leica module, it has brilliant focus confirmation and is so light. For you it would be amazing as you have all these incredible lenses. Everyone one of them will work!

Asher

George Holroyd

Unfortunately no.

Fahim, how much easier was the Zeiss 50mm on your Nikon? I'm interested in mounting a manual focus lens, probably the Nikkor AI-S f/1.2, but I have a pretty significant tremor and I'm a bit worried about being able to work with it handheld.

fahim mohammed

George, terribly sorry to hear about your hand tremor. Between the Zeiss ZF lenses ( ver 1 ) I have..the 25/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 50/2 Makro and the 100/2 Makro..I found the 50/1.4 Planar the easiest to handle and focus. It fits well on the Nikon. Just right. But it is expensive when compared to the Nikon 50/1.4 D.

If I hold on to the D700, I might just get me the Nikon 50/1.8 G. A pity though as the Zeiss renders beautifully.

I do not have any Nikon manual focus lenses ( the 45/2. pancake is too tiny for a D700 body to count ).

My hands shake, but For small stretches of time ( 2 hours ) the 50/1.4 is good for me.

Good luck with your choice.

Fahim, how much easier was the Zeiss 50mm on your Nikon? I'm interested in mounting a manual focus lens, probably the Nikkor AI-S f/1.2, but I have a pretty significant tremor and I'm a bit worried about being able to work with it handheld.

George Holroyd

Good to know the ZF 50 f/1.4 is working for you, I like what I've seen coming out of that lens and the D700, despite what sites like photozone.de have said about it. Although, they do give the ZF 35 f/2 high marks.

As regards my tremor, it isn't much of a hindrance to shooting yet. I have what is known as Essential Tremor and it is constant in my extremities, neck, and voice. Really, it only becomes a drag when I try to shave, write legibly, or eat peas with a fork. It tends to advance with age so, I am trying to work toward a more deliberate style of shooting...on a tripod with a remote release, etc.. I just find that to be very restricting in my current circumstances due to space limitations.

Carsten Wolff

I couldn't answer that. I just grab what I need on the day and I am experimental in general. In the last few months I would have used, e.g.: In (Nikon) DSLRs and SLRs, I may use a 17-35, a 35/2, a 50/1.4 or 1.8, a 85/1.4 or a 135/2 DC; If I go retro in 35mm I generally use a 50/2 or a 21/2.8 RF. In 6x6, I use a 85/3.5 on a folder, in 6x7 a 150/2.8, in 6x9 W.A. a 58/5.6; in LF (- Speed-Graphic only for street) a 152/3.5, a 165/2.5 and I even tried a 145/1.2(!). So....unlike a friend of mine who has ONLY been running around with his 25/0.95 Nokton on whatever Panasonic EVIL model his is, I can't limit myself thus......:)