• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Westfort Canadian Pacific Rail Yard Pedestrian Bridge

westfort_canadian_pacific_rail_yard_pedestrian_bri_by_rufusthered-dbaitdo.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Michael,

Made me think of spider webs and Spider-Man! Patterns like this are always attention-getting.

But the lines also make me think of the progressively ordered paths we limit ourselves in a highly controlled "civil society".

For each small limitation of choice there's a reasonable explanation. However, taken accumulatively we have created ordered obedient ants of ourselves, with 99% serving the 1% elites!

Asher

Hello, Asher & Wolfgang. Sorry for the delay in replying to your kind comments. I'm on holiday and was away from internet access for a while.

Your interpretations make perfect sense. Mine differs because of contextual knowledge. The bridge travels over a railway yard, a workplace where people, like 'ants', earn their living according to societal rules. But they have power. They earn good wages in a union town. Those that leave mostly return to settle in their community. They have pride in the illustrious histories of the companies that employ them. Moreover, as author Allan Sillitoe showed Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, his famous novel about an industrial city in another country, the light at the end the tunnel can more than compensate for the weekdays' toil.

At the end of the bridge and across the river is Mount Mckay, originally known as Thunder Mountain and sacred to the Ojibwa who live near its base. The mountain overlooked this part of the for an estimated thousand million years. Contemplating this scene suggests that even the smallest mouse-like-holes can reveal hidden treasures to those that pass through them.

canadian_pacific_rail_yard_pedestrian_bridge_by_rufusthered-dbayebr.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello, Asher & Wolfgang. Sorry for the delay in replying to your kind comments. I'm on holiday and was away from internet access for a while.

Your interpretations make perfect sense. Mine differs because of contextual knowledge. The bridge travels over a railway yard, a workplace where people, like 'ants', earn their living according to societal rules. But they have power. They earn good wages in a union town. Those that leave mostly return to settle in their community. They have pride in the illustrious histories of the companies that employ them. Moreover, as author Allan Sillitoe showed Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, his famous novel about an industrial city in another country, the light at the end the tunnel can more than compensate for the weekdays' toil.

At the end of the bridge and across the river is Mount Mckay, originally known as Thunder Mountain and sacred to the Ojibwa who live near its base. The mountain overlooked this part of the for an estimated thousand million years. Contemplating this scene suggests that even the smallest mouse-like-holes can reveal hidden treasures to those that pass through them.

?? Blade Runner Escape??

Mike,

This should be seen at this time for a number of reasons.

First it appears as if this would be the escape route from the city in Blade Runner, we are just up to Blade Runner IV, I believe, coming out this week.

Next we have a dystopia in even the most privilieged parts of the current "modern democratic society" in the West, where industiralists and technocrats have essentially hoodwinked, controlled and imn practice, enslaved the population going to work every day, using up their daylight and chances for mating and enjoying nature. All this, in return for "tokens" to spend at "company stores". For two to four weeks a year they get a "vacation" where they can spend more more tokens at company resorts!

Just a different point of view but quite poignant!

Asher

?? Blade Runner Escape??

Mike,

This should be seen at this time for a number of reasons.

First it appears as if this would be the escape route from the city in Blade Runner, we are just up to Blade Runner IV, I believe, coming out this week.

Next we have a dystopia in even the most privilieged parts of the current "modern democratic society" in the West, where industiralists and technocrats have essentially hoodwinked, controlled and imn practice, enslaved the population going to work every day, using up their daylight and chances for mating and enjoying nature. All this, in return for "tokens" to spend at "company stores". For two to four weeks a year they get a "vacation" where they can spend more more tokens at company resorts!

Just a different point of view but quite poignant!

Asher

Your post brings to mind John Lenon's song, arguably best interpreted by Marianne Faithful: Working Class Hero. Cheers, Mike