Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Themes

Themes Post the best of your favorites in our "Themes". Brief Comments only!

Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:18 PM

Default Morning Fog at the Marsh

Hello,

No secret this, but the winter thus far in the upper Midwest of the US has been much warmer than usual this season. Don't mind the gentle heating bills, but do miss the snow and its way of balancing the light in the sky with that reflected from the land. Fog this morning presented a change of pace.

Marsh Observation Deck

Edge of the Marsh

Corner Post

The marsh exists on the south side of a railway abandoned eighty years ago. Despite its small size, it is a sanctuary for a small population of wildlife and migrating birds.

Thanks for looking.

Tom
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:36 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I love the sight of morning fog and your pictures are such a good experience for me, transporting me to areas of Europe. I must admit I think of world war one with trench warfare and soft fog hovering over the landscape as the men get ready for the next day ort boredom or conflict.

There are pictures elsewhere here of forts photographed in the early morning fog in the Czech Republic in World War II that were given up to the invading Nazis without a shot being fired.

So this is what comes to my mind with the morning fog.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM

Very nice pictures, although I find the small human elements in 1 and 2 a bit distracting. 3 is perfect and its composition is especially good, a very delicate landscape.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:38 AM

They take me back to an earlier "hobby" when I was frequently to be found exploring some of England's long abandonned WWII airfields in search of a forgotton time. The lane is typical of thousands of such that linked operational establishments with their accommodation blocks and camps. Daytime revealed their technical aspects but it was dawn and dusk when you could close your eyes and hear the thunder of Merlins or Wright Cyclones.
Thanks Tom.

Bob
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Latham View Post
They take me back to an earlier "hobby" when I was frequently to be found exploring some of England's long abandonned WWII airfields in search of a forgotton time. The lane is typical of thousands of such that linked operational establishments with their accommodation blocks and camps. Daytime revealed their technical aspects but it was dawn and dusk when you could close your eyes and hear the thunder of Merlins or Wright Cyclones.
Thanks Tom.

Bob
Amazing feats of mass production, dedication and awful bravery and sacrifice. I was just a toddler then when long range bombers flew over out house in NW London on their bombing runs to Handley Page aircraft factories nearby. Our home was one of a scattered few score left standing totally intact and with running water! I only remember the rumble of the bombers and barrage balloons in the sky and boxes and then trains as we were evacuated to Northampton.

All this triggered from the morning mist.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM

All, thank you for looking and also for your thoughtful comments. Fog has a way of providing extra "elbow room" for photo viewers, so such associations are fascinating.

An odd example of this sort of thing occurred during today's foggy hike in the woods; I suddenly recalled the unmistakeable smell of smokeless powder. There was no small arms fire in the Illinois Valley that I was aware of. My guess is that the cold weather fog and drizzle in the woods reminded me of winter infantry training at Fort Knox, Kentucky in 1971.
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:09 AM

I like “Corner Post.” The composition is nice and it has a feel reminiscent of many walks I've taken in the fog.

There is a taller tree visible between the 2 shorter ones that makes the image. It’s a classic apparition that draws the eye but once there it kind of hides in the open.
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Love nr 3. First thought was of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, looks just the place for a mystery!