Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Themes

Themes Post the best of your favorites in our "Themes". Brief Comments only!

Old February 10th, 2014, 01:10 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Castles, Towers and Forts, Medieval Manor Houses and Palaces!

For me, it all starts here! The Tower of London!

Add your own!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:07 AM

Asher,
I am amazed how much you could include! It is very wide angle, but I do not see any hint of lens distortion? The perspective gives a nice 3D effect. The touch of turbulence in the clouds seem to add to the history of the place.

I now pick up enough courage to add one of mine - another view of the same place from my FM2 collection.

Reginald

Last edited by Reginald Johnson; April 17th, 2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 11:37 PM

Here's some from my native domain...

One of the four main gopurams of the Madurai Meenakshi Temple.

A closer look at the sculptures.

Some of the other gopurams.

Reginald
Old April 19th, 2017, 10:22 PM

These are glorious!

I have so much better to learn!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:16 AM

This place is not medieval but maybe medieavally inspired. Here we see granite castle 'ruins' in Aulanko, Finland. They were constructed by a local rich industrialist in late 19th century as part of an English park.

...and, what did you expect?

Old April 20th, 2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmo Juntunen View Post
This place is not medieval but maybe medieavally inspired. Here we see granite castle 'ruins' in Aulanko, Finland. They were constructed by a local rich industrialist in late 19th century as part of an English park.

...and, what did you expect?

Looks right to me!

Great they have a lookout..........

The castle is safe!

Asher

Old April 20th, 2017, 11:16 AM

Does a town hall in fake medieval style qualify?

Old April 24th, 2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Does a town hall in fake medieval style qualify?

At least as well as my "medieval" castle! Which town is this?
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmo Juntunen View Post
At least as well as my "medieval" castle! Which town is this?
This is Munich Town Hall.
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
What is also fabulous is that one is actually in the real Munich with all its rich attractions.

Likely as not there is one facsimile already, (or about to be), at some theme park in China! They provide the "Masses" with an "education" of the greatest and monumental structures in the Western World!

I am not sure when they'll get to Munich and the iconic town hall.....but, when they do, I hope they'll add a beer garden, a genuine working Bavarian pastry shop and at least well-stocked Pinakorhek! Now that would be superb!

Asher

Old April 24th, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I am not sure when they'll get to Munich and the iconic town hall.....but, when they do, I hope they'll add a beer garden, a genuine working Bavarian pastry shop and at least well-stocked Pinakorhek! Now that would be superb!
Actually, there is a Bavarian restaurant in the basement and they serve beer in one of the inner yards by fair weather.
Old April 25th, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Actually, there is a Bavarian restaurant in the basement and they serve beer in one of the inner yards by fair weather.
My next visit!

Old July 16th, 2017, 11:35 AM

Castles and ruined abbeys in Scotland. (Album at https://www.flickr.com/gp/133969392@N05/HVdW5A ).

Here's the fortified residence of Archibald the Grim, the Lord of the Black Douglasses in Galloway Scotland. It suffered a bit from cannonfire during a protracted seige, but had survived many attacks before that.

P6010383 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

From a trip taken to research the lands we came from late last spring. One of the castles, Closeburn, was built by a Kirkpatrick!

scott
Old July 16th, 2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Johnson View Post
Asher,
I am amazed how much you could include! It is very wide angle, but I do not see any hint of lens distortion? The perspective gives a nice 3D effect. The touch of turbulence in the clouds seem to add to the history of the place.

I now pick up enough courage to add one of mine - another view of the same place from my FM2 collection.

Reginald
Reginald,

Thanks for your kind words. I stitched this but I cannot remember whether it was from a 24-105 or my 50mm 1.2!

I like your picture. Very rugged and shows the wear of battle and time!

Asher

Old July 16th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
Castles and ruined abbeys in Scotland. (Album at https://www.flickr.com/gp/133969392@N05/HVdW5A ).

Here's the fortified residence of Archibald the Grim, the Lord of the Black Douglasses in Galloway Scotland. It suffered a bit from cannonfire during a protracted seige, but had survived many attacks before that.

P6010383 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

From a trip taken to research the lands we came from late last spring. One of the castles, Closeburn, was built by a Kirkpatrick!

scott

Pretty strong fort, Scott! You must be proud of the Kirkpatrick connection. Was he the builder or the lord?

Now what relationship do the styles we see in Scotland Ireland and England have to the Crusador forts in The Holy Land. We're there's designed by British monarch or by the Popes people or any lords made his own design?

Asher

Old July 18th, 2017, 01:17 PM

Crusader castles tended to be bigger, but they didn't face cannonfire. They did face fairly large armies. Until the English kings came north to subdue the Scots, attacks on castles were pretty much clan affairs.