• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Heart of a book

oli murugavel

After a very long time i created a small studio in my room to shoot this..! This is just planned when i was playing with a coin two days before! The coin rolled and sat on a corner of a opened book. A light from the opposite side made the shadow look like a heart symbol...! Then i planned to make a good thing out of that and got this finally! I just used a emergency lamp as the light source. Hope you like... I am in need of feedback and critics..!

HEART_OF_A_BOOK.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I like this very much, Oli. Using simple, at-hand objects and light to craft such creative compositions is a powerful exercise. Notice how the deep red gives the whole scene an almost sacred feeling. The top vignetting guides the eyes right back to the coins. Also note how the top page lines work with the crease to hold the composition together graphically. The coin's position, blocking the nexus of the crease and page lines, creates a very subtle visual tension.

I encourage you to take this basic composition further through more variations. For example, instead of coins (whose edge details I found distracting) consider using another object, perhaps a glass marble. Consider also using different books. Once viewers have decoded the scene's forms they'll try to read the book.

Well done, Oli. Now move it even further.

ashik ikbal

nice symmetric composition. you were reading a book on Arts n Crafts !

u could have taken the iso into 64 or 100.

the below part of the book required to be more darker. simply use photoshop. one thing is really mentionable, the uper part of the book has a line, and you have kept it parallel to the boundary of the image.

i will like to see another phograph with the same elements in different angle.

good luck