• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Blooming

Charlotte Thompson

self portrait overlay
many sides to the self all inside the mind of me and the minds of others
what would you see or find- could this be an alternative idea- while viewing another human side to self-
all crits and comments are welcomed-
Charlotte-

SOB_6530-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ron,

Not to better explain it but rather to allow it to be seen, look at it with much more black space around it. Then perhaps it might get meaning. Also it may have to be shrunk as it is large for the page.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

You have used the Prefix Alternative Process: but I don't see where you used an alternative process. This generally refers to using albumin, platinum, gum bichromate, tea or other such medium to record light from a scene or subject.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

providing or being a choice between two or among more than two things alternative routes
designating or of an institution, enterprise, etc. that appeals to unconventional or nontraditional interests an alternative school
Etymology: ML alternativus: see alternate

This is where I see art-

there is ALWAYS Alternative- for me it is evolution which equals "life"Charlotte-

Michael Fontana

pro member
personally, I find that to be one of Charlotte's more interesting works; there' s the eye, with something else, wich is not recognized to easy - a mystery.

I don't bother about that - its "abstract" qualities can be a portrait - without problems.
Meanwhile it's very open to the viewers lecture and interpretation, unlike some earlier works, that I found from over-determinated till anecdotic. Maybe I haven't seen all - just my personal impression.

Formally, its clear as well: the white mass in the foreground, the black in the background, as the eye. Did you tried the eye to be s a negative, (b&W-inversed)?

Charlotte

This is what I see

Perhaps she had known it would come to this, they were but plants but they spoke to her the way cells speak to you or I. They told her when they were cold, when they were sick, when the sun made them feel immortal. And soon she accepted it like a child accepts their sex. Now she held an ambassadorial rapport with flora and they had given her their ultimatum to convey: Mankind, we will co-exist or we will destroy you. We can render ourselves slow poison and too late will great tracts of your populous fall. We can send unknown spores on the breeze to close your lungs in an instant. Our trees will dislodge themselves from rivers enough to divert their course and flood your towns. Our algae will wait in the belly of fish that you consume. We exist in your very digestion tract. Do not think us mere for we surround you even now.

William

I'll have what William's having.
I have seen all of your posts Charlotte, and I looked at your website and I enjoy a lot of what you have there. I don't claim to see a lot of deep and thoughtful things in the images, especially nothing like what William sees, but I still enjoy looking at them. Honestly, years ago, me with a little sugar cube or microdot, would probably love and devour this image. I am sure I would be able to stare at it for hours on end and see the answers to all questions ever asked. That was long ago however. Today, this particular image just does not do it for me. I have tried a number of times now to look at it and give it a chance to speak to me somehow but it does not. I wish it did because then I would feel I was more in tune. That's ok though. Others obviously see it differently than me. I think that is common everywhere, not just in art. We all see things differently and everyone is not going to appreciate everything equally or sometimes at all. We can all live with that I think. What I do like though is your committment to your style and your persistence in creating it and trying to share with us what you think and feel. That is inspiring to me.
James Newman

P.S. We only live a few miles from each other. We should grab a coffee someday and you can tell me yourself what it is that you are trying to express in your work.

Charlotte Thompson

I think that it is possible to reflect through mirrors or the mirrors of our minds and see a fourth dimensional space
each one most likely will record and find different values in their own journey-

Charlotte-

Ron
what you saw "the eye" is the crux of the vision
and I do appreciate your honesty-
always every person will see something- thank you so much for seeing and your reply

Charlotte-

Rachel
I am always predictable in my unpredictableness- nice to find you here- and for understanding-thank you

Charlotte-

Michael

you are very astute and in tune
I believe that what others see -is what I don't see in my own work- it helps with understanding what others see or don't- explains art and human understanding for me which is immeasurable blessing-
I have given a definition in the beginning of this reply as best I could of what my work is
thank you-you have helped so very much-
everything in life is a circle of "we"

Charlotte-

James
if you have no impressions then that's cool" I do understand-
I have never been into tradition but that's moi'
Yes I am extremely tenacious but again that is me-

try looking again without bias and I would love your impressions
William has been a good friend of mine for 10 years-trust me both of us are writers and he has encouraged and helped me through understanding photography
I would really like to meet for coffee at some point, where do you live in Houston, I know it well
and thank you for your honesty and for coming by this thread to leave your wonderful note!

Charlotte-

William

of course-

Charlotte-

Seriously, this is may not be worth looking at although the parallel between the words and the picture is apt. In both cases, I fear, the general rule is proved that obscurity does not transform earnestness into profundity, wishfulness into worth, or sincerity into success.

Charlotte Thompson

Wow Maris

long time

I almost feel bad- well it is kind of half bad-half good-on your reply
but the honor is
exceptional! I could ever never know a general rule- if I did I would be paste-
thank you for coming by-what a lesson* thank you*

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Michael

thank you for coming by again and for seeing the idea of this work-that gives me great pleasure!
there are so very many dimensions to art I haven't even touched on them - another realm into photography and being able to trust what I am doing and doing it-
it could be hard for others to understand such explorations-for me its a continual exploration into what my mind can create -I paint wall murals or rather used to do that/contemporary to abstract work which i adore
it comes through in my photography such as this kind of work
I am currently working with a" horror author" on a second book cover
He resides in Denmark-
this is one I just finished and sent to him for consideration- he really likes my overlays
horror is not my genre but in working for the cover art after months and months I have finally the feel for it-I do have another I sent a couple of months ago he really likes too-

Charlotte-
MG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk288/redfiregold/eyes5-1.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited: