• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Suzy

charlie chipman

These were made for an interview for Blackbook magazine.

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/industry-insiders-suzy-yun-unhee-que/14511

Suzy is designer and I recently saw the small trades exhibit by Irving Penn, so I followed his lead and paired her up with a tool of her trade..... a giant sewing needle. A good friend of mine operates a CNC lathe and I asked if he could build a giant sewing needle for me which he did and it surpassed expectation. This was not the original idea, nor will it be the last for the giant sewing needle....

Enough about that, what are your thoughts on this?

suzytoedarksm.jpg

SuzyBBsm.jpg

suzypullsm.jpg

Last edited:
Enough about that, what are your thoughts on this?

Hi Charlie,

Very nice idea! I bet she liked it a lot as well.

The first one is a bit dark, there is very little separation from the background, but the poses all work for me. One has to know the subject and her work better to be able and pick the one that best represents her character.

Cheers,
Bart

Ashley Karyl

I just wanted to say that you can do a lot worse than using Irving Penn as an inspiration for your images. He really was a fantastic photographer and it was a great loss to the photographic world when he died last year.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congrats Charlie on bring to realization your imaginative concept. I'm duly impressed. How much time did you have to organize this shoot with that magnificent needle? What lighting did you use and did they pay?

Asher

charlie chipman

Thanks for the comments.

The needle took half a year or more from asking if it could be done to it arriving in the mail. Like I said its original intent was not for this idea but since they are so exquisitely made (I have two of them) I now think of concepts with the needle as the center piece instead of it simply as a prop. I had a couple days to organize this shoot if I recall and her being a designer the needle fit the bill.

Lighting was a single EL-deep octa on my Acute head. In hindsight I should have tried a lighter background and/or an accent light for some separation as well.

My girlfriend is a writer for Black Book, typically when she does an interview she asks the the interviewee for a photo to go along with it. When there is time and cooperation between all parties I will throw together a shoot specifically for it. I prefer this of course because I get to be creative and get little bit of exposure as well, but it is unpaid for me.