• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon Powershot SX20 IS - image modes

Doug Kerr

With any camera, we have available a lot of choices that affect the character of the image - ISO sensitivity, delivered image pixel dimensions, JPEG compression "quantity", and so forth. These interact in a way that is very dependent on the nature of the scene and the use we will make of the image.

Today I took a number of shots of the same subject with my new Canon Powershot SX20 IS camera, with different combinations of such "settings". I then isolated a small area of each frame for comparison.

Here we see the entire frame taken in one set of settings, in reduced resolution:

SX20-H00350-A1_R700.jpg

The test scene: shot at ISO 200, 4000 x 3000 px (12 Mpx), "high" JPEG compression quality​

The white rectangle shows the location of the small areas that will be compared.

Twelve images were taken with every combination of the following "settings":

Sensitivity: ISO REI 200, 400, 800

Delivered image pixel dimensions: 4000 x 3000 px (12 Mpx), 3264 x 2448 px (8 Mpx)

JPEG compression "quality": "high", "low"​

In the composite mosaic below, the tiles taken at an overall frame pixel size of 12 Mpx are at original camera resolution; the tiles taken at an overall frame pixel size of 8 Mpx have been upsized (a factor of 1.22) to a consistent pixel size for presentation. There is no doubt some loss of comparability by so doing.

SX20-comp-01.jpg

There are not really any surprises here.

Note that with regard to the matter of the JPEG compression "quality", this scene excerpt is not best for showing the impact of compression artifacts.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nice study doug. You have a lot of patience, but that's how discoveries are made and how we find the limits of magic!

Asher