• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Salut!

Rob Naylor

Hi all,

I stumbled upon this forum quite by accident and after having a browse I saw that I knew two members from previous fora. Namely António C and Chris C.

Since I have enjoyed the work of both these two photographers, I realised that this forum must offer good CC and advice.

I hid in the shadows for a while and read the comments and critique offered here, and was soon drawn to the earnest, honesty that is shown here, so here I am!

Many years ago, about 3 years BM ("before marriage") I took up a camera and set up a BW darkroom in my parents bathroom, and thus started my love for photography. Which sadly soon ended, about 1 year AW ("after wedding").

Finally, age and disposable income allowed me to rejoin the throngs of amateur photographers, and 3 years ago, I started again with an entry level DSLR Sony A390. So much had changed since my OM10 days but the discovery of digital was a real breath of fresh-air, I had a portable darkroom in my laptop, who could ask for more!

My interests are Landscapes, Street and a bit of manipulation (even some HDR - shock horror!).

So as an introduction, here are a few of my favourite image of the last few years.

Landscape (French Chateaux)
6144029143_bd4f7ef4dc_b.jpg

Street
5870134836_f1e52461a1_b.jpg

Manipulation
5425364952_3712f6102b_b.jpg

Street and Manipulation (combined)
8401820338_1cf00d2574_b.jpg

See you all in the forum !

Hi all,
I stumbled upon this forum quite by accident and after having a browse I saw that I knew two members from previous fora. Namely António C and Chris C.
Since I have enjoyed the work of both these two photographers, I realised that this forum must offer good CC and advice.
I hid in the shadows for a while and read the comments and critique offered here, and was soon drawn to the earnest, honesty that is shown here, so here I am!

Many years ago, about 3 years BM ("before marriage") I took up a camera and set up a BW darkroom in my parents bathroom, and thus started my love for photography. Which sadly soon ended, about 1 year AW ("after wedding").

Finally, age and disposable income allowed me to rejoin the throngs of amateur photographers, and 3 years ago, I started again with an entry level DSLR Sony A390. So much had changed since my OM10 days but the discovery of digital was a real breath of fresh-air, I had a portable darkroom in my laptop, who could ask for more!

My interests are Landscapes, Street and a bit of manipulation (even some HDR - shock horror!).

So as an introduction, here are a few of my favourite image of the last few years.

See you all in the forum !

Landscape (French Chateaux)
6144029143_bd4f7ef4dc_b.jpg

Street
5870134836_f1e52461a1_b.jpg

Manipulation
5425364952_3712f6102b_b.jpg

Hi Rob,
Nice to meet you and welcome!

Lovely photos. The first is like a dream for me, the chateau and the mist rising is beautiful. They are all really good. I also really love the 4th one with all the people wandering around. I look forward to seeing more of your work! :)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Rob, what an impressive start right out of the gate! I like your work and find the last one most intriguing.

Of course, the Chateau is splendid, a lot of upkeep and no doubt what Earth Kitt referred to in her famous song. I want an old fashioned house..." In Germany try this

The manipulation of the trees and reflections remind me of Belgian lace with the intricate repeat patterns, that so beautiful and mesmerizing!

This street picture, however, has a lot more going on. It provides ghosts of more pedestrians passing by and so makes the extension of the main subjects moment of fame, even more pronounced. Tell us more about your thoughts and influences in making this lively picture.

Asher

Rob Naylor

Many thanks for the kind welcomes, Maggie, Cem and Asher!

A little explanation of the 4 images I posted...

The Chateau is at Sarzay, it is now in private hands and in the process of renovation. I can't wait to see what they do, it is a massive undertaking!

Image 2 was caught on a street in Montlucon, I was a little late with this shot, 1-2 seconds earlier would have made a much stronger image I think.

Image 3 was taken with this final image in mind - here is the original shot, showing my arm shading the direct sunlight from the front of the lens, I was OK with this, as I knew my arm would not be in the final image,

8219687053_e547a4541c_z.jpg

Image 4 is a composite of about 12 images taken from a fixed position on the street, over a 30 minute period.
Again I took the series with the final image in mind, but the stance and look of the foreground woman was an absolute bonus - pure luck, and for me it made this image come alive.

Thanks again all who had a look and took the time to make a comment - very appreciated!