• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Still Life : Lit by a window!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Here we go again. Defining terms.
I don't know about other languages but the English one, that which I endeavor to use from time to time to explain my thoughts, is a dynamic one, enabling people to use, invent and change words as new ideas need to be explained. Once it becomes common usage or is used in a new situation where no other word would suffice, it becomes part of our language.
The word 'photography' came about in that way. A new word to explain a phenomenon that had no word. As we know, the phenomenon grew and is still growing. As long as people continue to use the word 'photography' in the current context, the usage will define the term.
We can argue all we want about this, as we have before, and it will make no difference. Theo isn't about to alter common usage.
And we don't have to be smart arses to have a word accepted by the general public going by the Word of the Year from the Oxford. 'Selfie' is a photograph taken by the photographer of him or herself and usually displayed on the internet or similar social media. See! Even us Aussies can come up with new words to describe phenomenon.
So, all you stuck in the past anal retentives please move on. It's 2013

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

Your right about english usage. People can get really upset about use of words in new ways.

Actually, Photography, genuine photography, might well have been the secret art, the artist himself or herself, drawing or painting to match the hues of light with a mirror inverting once more, the picture from a camera obscura and the artist painting what he saw to match what was projected to his eye.

The recent article in Vanity Fair is intriguing! I think this might be the Kabala of still life and portrait artists.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Anyway, your initial picture was great but the second composition is even greater. Very balanced and attractive, you've got a talent for that. Perhaps you should do more still life photography. :)

Thanks,

Here's another use of the white counter surface by the two new windows.

_MG_4167Still life_Nik_700.jpg

Asher Kelman: Garlic and Onion

Enjoy!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Nice tones, Asher. I wouldn't put the focus on the front onion to the test, though. There seems to be a number of light sources creating a bit of confusion among the shadows.
If you don't mind, I'd like to have a stab at this as well, just for a different interpretation. Maybe others could as well.
What can you do with 2 onions and 2 cloves of garlic on a white surface in natural light?
The mind boggles.

Asher Kelman

Tom dinning said:
If you don't mind, I'd like to have a stab at this as well, just for a different interpretation. Maybe others could as well.

I'd appreciate your take. Please go ahead!

:)

Asher

what fun, Asher.

I actually love doing still life images and I thought I'd share a few of mine. I hope you enjoy them. :)

pears1.jpg

pears ©Maggie Terlecki

pungent1.jpg

pungent ©Maggie Terlecki

enocki1.jpg

Enocki ©Maggie Terlecki​

springflowers.jpg

spring flowers ©Maggie Terlecki​

Asher Kelman

what fun, Asher.

I actually love doing still life images and I thought I'd share a few of mine. I hope you enjoy them. :)

enocki1.jpg

Enocki ©Maggie Terlecki​

This is so delicate and nicely lit. I wonder whether you might have cropped away the tip off that large leaf/rock on the left. "Don't cut a beautiful cloud!"

Asher

enocki1.jpg

Enocki ©Maggie Terlecki​

This is so delicate and nicely lit. I wonder whether you might have cropped away the tip off that large leaf/rock on the left. "Don't cut a beautiful cloud!"

Asher

Hi Asher,
Sadly, no way to retrieve that as it's presented as shot. Although I do crop if I need to, I always compose in camera, so sometimes I'm so consumed by the subject that little things sometime slip away until to late. oh, well,, the mushrooms were never the less delicious! :)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Maggie,

I'd love folk to forget the idea that one should frame tightly as if that's some "great quality". What's outside the frame need not be lost. It's no extra weight to being that too!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Maggie,

I'd love folk to forget the idea that one should frame tightly as if that's some "great quality". What's outside the frame need not be lost. It's no extra weight to being that too!

Asher
Hi Asher,

This really is a hobby of yours, wanting to see what is there outside a frame as it is presented. Why is it not enough just to enjoy the presentation? Have you ever considered that by looking for more details outside the presentation, you are kind of diminishing the value of what is being presented? Or that you are questioning the personal choices made by the photographer? I get the impression that you would ideally want to capture 360 degrees in 3-D in one press of the shutter and then sit down at the computer and start composing. Which is OK if that is what tickles your fancy, but please consider that it may be a horror scenario for others. Just my opinion, nothing else. :)

Hi Asher,

This really is a hobby of yours, wanting to see what is there outside a frame as it is presented. Why is it not enough just to enjoy the presentation? Have you ever considered that by looking for more details outside the presentation, you are kind of diminishing the value of what is being presented? Or that you are questioning the personal choices made by the photographer? I get the impression that you would ideally want to capture 360 degrees in 3-D in one press of the shutter and then sit down at the computer and start composing. Which is OK if that is what tickles your fancy, but please consider that it may be a horror scenario for others. Just my opinion, nothing else. :)

Hi Cem,

I agree. Leaving things out is more important/helpful to composition than including more distraction is.

I also love Maggie's latest still life contributions to this thread, they show a good eye for (in camera) composition and the light quality is really nice.

Cheers,
Bart

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Like Vermeer, I, too, have my favorite window. Unlike Vermeer, I have no pearl earring to hang from a damsels fine ear; just a couple of onions and a bit of garlic, which is enough to keep me safe from any woman considering me as a sex object.

After some consternation and a few objectionable photos I came to the conclusion that some Fen Shui-like phenomenon was interfering with my framing. This is today's attempts. Tomorrow I will make some modifications.
In respect to the 'tight frame' hypothesis, Asher, I'm of the ilk that space is worthwhile if carefully applied. Having too much of it surrounding a subject and spilling over the edge is reminiscent of filling the cake tin with too much mix. At the end of the cook someone will come along, trim it off and either eat it or bin it. Henceforth, I eat the extra bits myself and leave only the essentials for public consumption. The amount I leave depends on how charitable I am at the time.

Sorry, Asher old mate. I'm on the iPad and it's too bloody hard to insert the centre tags.
Is there any way you can get that automated when you find a non-murdering IT guy.

_DSC7547 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC7531 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC7541 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Tom dinning

Registrant*
What a contrast in approaches here. Asher with his clinical, orderly, precise approach, Maggie with he delicate, soft handed, warm approach and me, well, that's me, just send the brain into free mode and see what happens.
Thanks for the difference, you two.

Asher Kelman

Like Vermeer, I, too, have my favorite window. Unlike Vermeer, I have no pearl earring to hang from a damsels fine ear; just a couple of onions and a bit of garlic, which is enough to keep me safe from any woman considering me as a sex object.

And you don't have a mirror by your eye camera obscura to help you paint!

Tom dinning said:
Sorry, Asher old mate. I'm on the iPad and it's too bloody hard to insert the centre tags.
Is there any way you can get that automated when you find a non-murdering IT guy.

A great idea!!

_DSC7541 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

We'll, Tom,

Here tight is right! I like the simple bold and decisive cropping for this picture. The composition is superb and the color as rich as it can ever be. Still, this would also be great in b&w, just for the well shaded shapes, the composition and textures.

Asher

Hi Cem,

I agree. Leaving things out is more important/helpful to composition than including more distraction is.

I also love Maggie's latest still life contributions to this thread, they show a good eye for (in camera) composition and the light quality is really nice.

Cheers,
Bart
Thank you, Bart for such kind words,
:)
Maggie

fahim mohammed

Well, I put a new set of windows in my kitchen, so no there's light!

I watch the light strike objects early in the morning as the sun comes up over the large hedge outside.

_MG_3871_700.jpg

Asher Kelman: Fruit in a Black Bowl

Canon 6D

Hope to see a myriad of images by your favorite window light!

Asher

Lovely. It would be lovelier ( imho ) if some softness/ diffusion was introduced.

Thanks for sharing.

p.s I never go into my kitchen anymore, for various reasons..my wife has banned me from there since the last time I criticised the colour scheme..

Asher Kelman

Lovely. It would be lovelier ( imho ) if some softness/ diffusion was introduced.

Thanks for sharing.

p.s I never go into my kitchen anymore, for various reasons..my wife has banned me from there since the last time I criticised the colour scheme..

Yes, Fahim,

You're probably correct. I could soften in PS, but might try a soft focus filter or else adding water to a sheet of glass.

Asher