• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Signs, Billboards & Street Art in Los Angeles

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Los Angeles spreads out to cover about 11 million people merging with adjoining cities of Hollywood, Westwood, Beverly Hills,m Santa Monica and the like.

A lot of the identity, character and ambience of these places is reflected and even nurtured in the giant billboards, modest posters and private scribbles that come to make out the turf of each area.

I will post pictures, as I come upon them and in the end, might try to make some sense out of it all!

_DSC4021.jpg

Asher Kelman: Peeing in Public Forbidden!

More to follow.

If you are in the area, add your own LA area street Art!

Comments welcome!

Asher

Asher Kelman

_DSC4130.jpg

Asher Kelman: 7053

I think this is Rosa Parks who wouldn't give up her seat for a white person on a segregated bus!

Asher Kelman

_DSC4131.jpg

Asher Kelman: Don't Trust!

It could be DON'T......(riot, complain, assume the worse), and instead TRUST

or more likely DON'T TRUST BIG CORPORATIONS!

I like the former idea, but know it can't be that easy! :)

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, many a time I have come across material like this in London. The thing is, for me it's not that interesting on it's own, they're just messages and it all gets to be the same in the end.
I feel, that the art to photographing these things is to include a third element, juxtapositions and a context.
You can bet your life that some little squirt with a phone camera has already taken straight up pictures of these and has done it all for you...they're all over on Flickr. :)
Having said that, there is always an abstract photographic opportunity amongst it all. A lot of paint and worn/ torn mixed media floating around on walls present that...

Regards...

Asher Kelman

Hey Asher, many a time I have come across material like this in London. The thing is, for me it's not that interesting on it's own, they're just messages and it all gets to be the same in the end.
I feel, that the art to photographing these things is to include a third element, juxtapositions and a context.
You can bet your life that some little squirt with a phone camera has already taken straight up pictures of these and has done it all for you...they're all over on Flickr. :)
Having said that, there is always an abstract photographic opportunity amongst it all. A lot of paint and worn/ torn mixed media floating around on walls present that...

Regards...

Thanks for the reality check, Paul!

I may very well be be a naive poster-art explorer, LOL! I admit it. These characters are totally new to me. Still, I'm rather moved by the energy that goes into these works. I have been photographing billboards for some time and there, juxtaposition and lighting is part of the game of it.

To some very small extent, I'm balancing the monumental work of Michael Nagel in documenting the much richer street art in Munich, generally in a pretty straightforward manner.

I know you would choose remarkable angles. Mine a rapid snaps before I loose my wife and the car altogether!

Asher

Los Angeles spreads out to cover about 11 million people merging with adjoining cities of Hollywood, Westwood, Beverly Hills,m Santa Monica and the like.

A lot of the identity, character and ambience of these places is reflected and even nurtured in the giant billboards, modest posters and private scribbles that come to make out the turf of each area.

I will post pictures, as I come upon them and in the end, might try to make some sense out of it all!

_DSC4021.jpg

Asher Kelman: Peeing in Public Forbidden!

More to follow

If you are in the area, add your own LA area street Art!

Comments welcome!

Asher
This looks very much like a Banksy. I agree with Paul, having an extra element such as a real person peeing beside it or something along those lines, would make this exceptional. Now, it is more a record of street art.
Maggie

Asher Kelman

This looks very much like a Banksy. I agree with Paul, having an extra element such as a real person peeing beside it or something along those lines, would make this exceptional. Now, it is more a record of street art.
Maggie

Well, now Maggie, you're siding with Paul, so he must be right! I was thinking of adding some accompaniment but do not want to get my associates arrested!

Asher