• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More A7RII

I got out to Whidbey Isl. this weekend and found some nice clouds. My Samsang 14mm worked well to capture the sunset and I lucked into finding an older couple fishing at the Ebbey Landing beach. So far so good with the new camera - I like the handling better than my NEX-7, but not the weight when hiking.

20988720640_77847bab75_b.jpg

4 shot hand held focus stack, Samyang 14mm

21176014476_4a16191377_c.jpg

4 shot pano, Samyang 14mm

21015459829_aab3083a8f_c.jpg

Sunset Fishing, Zeis 55mm

20579583774_f37ee9d163_c.jpg

Pano, Zeis 55mm​

Robert Watcher

Nice images. Just curious why you used focus stacking on the first image taken with 14mm lens - when DOF at f8 covers around a foot and a half to infinity - and f11 is under a foot to infinity?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Samyung! How did you get to that decision? Obviously, in our hands it delivers beauty. But does it have the quality to match the capability of the A7RII demanding sensor?

I have been wondering about this lens, the 15mm released just this last week by the Chinese company or perhaps, the stellar but far more expensive Canon 11-24mm L lens.

Can you share your decision-making!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I got out to Whidbey Isl. this weekend and found some nice clouds. My Samsang 14mm worked well to capture the sunset and I lucked into finding an older couple fishing at the Ebbey Landing beach. So far so good with the new camera - I like the handling better than my NEX-7, but not the weight when hiking.

Sunset Fishing, Zeis 55mm​

Condensed beauty. Again, this lens delivers! Is this one frame?

Asher

Robert, I did a focus stack on that one because I was crouched down low and so close to the ground that the rocks in the foreground were about a foot from the camera. I wanted the background to also be sharp, not just within the circle of confusion. I also hadn't done a hand held focus stack so wanted to experiment - I'm pretty happy with the results.

Asher, sorry I mislabeled that last shot - it was actually taken with the Samyang! I got that lens a year ago to use on my NEX-7 for astrophotography and it has worked great for that (easy focus to infinity). Also it was on sale at B&H at the time for $300 and was the only super-wide E mount option that would also work on a future full frame camera. The two downsides are size/weight and due to lack of electronics it doesn't send any data to the camera for EXIF.

Robert Watcher

Robert, I did a focus stack on that one because I was crouched down low and so close to the ground that the rocks in the foreground were about a foot from the camera. I wanted the background to also be sharp, not just within the circle of confusion. I also hadn't done a hand held focus stack so wanted to experiment - I'm pretty happy with the results.

That's cool

Asher Kelman

Sunset Fishing, Zeis 55mm​

Condensed beauty. Again, this lens delivers! Is this one frame?

Asher

So this is with the Samyung 14mm too?

Besides being beautiful, did you manage to discover any MTF curves?

Given the remarkably low price of about $350 and pairing this with the stellar Canon 16-35 4.0L at just $1,000 would be a huge savings v. the 11-24mm 4.0 L Canon covering all wide angle needs on the A8RII. What do you think of that choice?

Asher

Asher Kelman

20988720640_77847bab75_b.jpg

Jim Doherty: Untitled

4 shots hand-held and focus-stacked
Samyung 14mm

Drama, a striking sky spreading out from the center with beautiful dimensional "energy" immediately grabs one's attention. The Proximal and distal rock elements are rendered in fine textural detail with a satisfying distribution of tonalities making them so important and three dimensional! Then they're set in the composition like heraldry on a knight's shield.

Jim, I really like this!

The super wide angle really does a super job of putting the main subject into context, assuming that the be is this interesting!

So what software do you use for this? Have you had experience with macro photography focus stacking?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jim,

I have been meaning to join this discussion for a while, sorry for being late. I have used the original A7 for more than a year and I have been very happy with it (aside from a few nitpicks). I have used a range of prime lenses from Nikon on it; 20mm, 35mm, 85mm and 200mm. And the results were very good. Then I had to part with the camera and the lenses and I miss them dearly. That is why I am looking forward to the day when I will be able to afford the A7RII, hopefully. Till then, I will sit back and enjoy your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Asher, thanks for the nice analysis on that shot.

I started off in ACR, which doesn't have a profile for this lens, I guess I should work on that. Saved files as DNG, opened them layered in Photoshop, then focus stacked (auto aligne then merge). For B&W I used Nik Silver FX Pro 2 with a strong red filter and increased structure.

Jarmo Juntunen

Ok guys, you go on about tech while I give my credits to the great pictures in the thread! All are good but I especially like the first one.