• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Democracia Market

Robert Watcher

20160806-EM102285-Edit.jpg

Robert Watcher

This is an exceptional picture suited for B&W for it's range of shading, patterns and textures.

I am fascinated by the cloths they use. Are these made locally or does some Chinese factory specialize in the indigenous tastes?

Asher

No no - all clothes are made locally and are unique to each town and community. It is getting easy for Anne and I to identify where people are from in Guatemala, by the pattern and colour they are wearing. All hand woven. Not all women weave their own obviously, and each outfit is quite expensive as a result of the length of time it takes to weave. As an example a 'Huipil' (the blouse) is made of 3 sections - each section taking a month to make. To buy one may be around Q5,000 around $1,000 Canadian. Each woman will have several. And then the 'corte' skirt is a separate long piece of wrapped fabric held on with a 6-9 foot long 'faja' (belt). These textiles, patterns and styles are exactly the same as ancient times and the large population of Mayan peoples in Guatemala young and old, are very proud to carry them on daily.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
No no - all clothes are made locally and are unique to each town and community. It is getting easy for Anne and I to identify where people are from in Guatemala, by the pattern and colour they are wearing. All hand woven. Not all women weave their own obviously, and each outfit is quite expensive as a result of the length of time it takes to weave. As an example a 'Huipil' (the blouse) is made of 3 sections - each section taking a month to make. To buy one may be around Q5,000 around $1,000 Canadian. Each woman will have several. And then the 'corte' skirt is a separate long piece of wrapped fabric held on with a 6-9 foot long 'faja' (belt). These textiles, patterns and styles are exactly the same as ancient times and the large population of Mayan peoples in Guatemala young and old, are very proud to carry them on daily.

That's is so wonderful, Robert. I had hoped for that answer! I hate the homogenization of culture by "modernity"! Still, Western entrepreneurs tried to copy or cash in on this creativity and skill?

Asher