• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Postcard from Thailand...'16

Paul Abbott

...from a little earlier in the year.

saffronrobe_foodtinsthailand_1_of_1_1024.jpg

Wat Tham Suea - Krabi, Thailand '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
...from a little earlier in the year.

saffronrobe_foodtinsthailand_1_of_1_1024.jpg

Wat Tham Suea - Krabi, Thailand '16 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

This is intriguing as the culture gap to what is familiar to me is large. It does appear to have an exterior wall and unglazed window, but it could be an interior wall with a recess used as a storage area or to connect to a storage area. The stacks of pans are bright and shiny. This indicates perhaps a thoroughly clean restaurant or else a store that has such cooking pots for sale.

I'd love to know more.

Asher

Paul Abbott

It's an outhouse used for storage it looked like. But what interested me was the saffron robe lying discarded in that box...and with that black arrow on the box pointing up and giving importance to it.
I had never seen a saffron robe lying around and unworn like this in all the time I have been to Thailand. Ones i've seen have always been worn devoutly by the monks. :)
The tiffin carrier trays are portable food carriers, and sometimes a monk will take one of these with him on a pilgrimage to another temple or religious site. He can be offered food and money by villagers he passes along the way as alms, in return for his blessings...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's an outhouse used for storage it looked like. But what interested me was the saffron robe lying discarded in that box...and with that black arrow on the box pointing up and giving importance to it.
I had never seen a saffron robe lying around and unworn like this in all the time I have been to Thailand. Ones i've seen have always been worn devoutly by the monks. :)
The tiffin carrier trays are portable food carriers, and sometimes a monk will take one of these with him on a pilgrimage to another temple or religious site. He can be offered food and money by villagers he passes along the way as alms, in return for his blessings...

So interesting and beautiful on so many levels. It's like the opening shot in a fabulous movie! It would be great to know what the words on the wall were saying!

Asher