• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

High Peak, Derbyshire '16

Paul Abbott

Mam Tor is a peak which used to be a location for an iron age settlement...

Winnats Pass is a road that runs through a cleft in the landscape of which you see here. The cleft is said to have been created by a collapsed cavern. There are many caverns in the High Peak area...

mamtor_tree_11280.jpg

Mam Tor - High Peak, Derbyshire '16 - Paul Abbott

winnatspass_1_of_1_1280.jpg

Winnats Pass - High Peak, Derbyshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mam Tor is a peak which used to be a location for an iron age settlement...

Winnats Pass is a road that runs through a cleft in the landscape of which you see here. The cleft is said to have been created by a collapsed cavern. There are many caverns in the High Peak area...

mamtor_tree_11280.jpg

Mam Tor - High Peak, Derbyshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

The tree in the first one is a great inclusion.

These places both seem to me just the places to find archaeological treasures as I can imagine ancient forts and tribal battles there!

Paul Abbott

Asher, this is all part of the Peak District and is a National Heritage site. I would imagine there'd still be a thing or two to find although, what you'd need to find it maybe a little more than you bargained for. :)

Anyway, in this next photograph...a cement works! ;)

cementworks_11280.jpg

Castleton, Derbyshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, this is all part of the Peak District and is a National Heritage site. I would imagine there'd still be a thing or two to find although, what you'd need to find it maybe a little more than you bargained for. :)

Anyway, in this next photograph...a cement works! ;)

cementworks_11280.jpg

Castleton, Derbyshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Well, Paul,

Not so bad! The cement works does not seem to have much negative impact on the view, at least from this wide angle view. However, I guess there's a quarry and lots of dust we are not seeing!

Asher

Thanks for these fine photos, Paul, that brought back memories of hiking and cycling trips when a schoolboy from Nottinghamshire and a graduate student at Sheffield. I remember Mam Tor and Castleton well. My favourite destinations, though, were Monsal Dale and Mensal Head. I hope they still remain unspoiled. Cheers, Mike

Paul Abbott

Asher, it doesn't. But this industrial building was here long before the place was declared a National heritage site. There is a quarry of sorts linked to it just beyond those slopes, it also has it's own railway line which connects to the rail network.
The sleepy town of Castleton here is where a lot of people stay over so that they can enjoy this locale and visit the many caverns nearby. One of which is called 'The Devil's Arse' which is located amongst in the slopes to the right of the town. You can also just make out a negligible view of Peveril Castle up on the slope above the town.

Michael, it's good to hear you have knowledge of this area. I will have to check the areas you mention. Do they have any distinctive features or vantage points worth mentioning? Although, I could check them out online, I guess. Thanks.

Michael, it's good to hear you have knowledge of this area. I will have to check the areas you mention. Do they have any distinctive features or vantage points worth mentioning? Although, I could check them out online, I guess. Thanks.

Hi Paul: it's been about 40 years since I spent time in the Peaks, so things have undoubtedly changed since then. Although popular, the Monsal Dale/Head region is more off the beaten track than Castleton, a place you could wander by yourself on weekdays without hordes of tourists. It's a lovely valley through which a small river runs, and around which you can hike to your heart's content. Cheers, Mike.

Paul Abbott

Yeah, I checked it out and those are the places I like...to do just what you mention. I noticed it has a lovely little viaduct nestled in the valley, spanning the river, and I love them. They're great subjects to photograph.
Thanks for the head's up on this area, Michael. I appreciate it.

Cool photos, Paul. I especially like the first 2 where I feel that the b&w really makes it all about shapes and textures instead of just the beauty of the place. In the first one I feel like I can run my hands over the mountains and it would feel velvety and then in front the grass feels like it would be scratchy and rough and the juxtaposition of both together make it an interesting shot for me.

The second shot creates a debate within myself if I would want the sky there or not... argh... I ask myself why and then why not. I do love all the lines created on the ground and that deep hole that seems to be sucking everything into it.

Some really good stuff :) Maggie

Paul Abbott

Thank you, Maggie.

In regard to 'Winnats Pass' shot, you've opened my eyes up about leaving the sky in or not. I do get what you might be saying about it because the eye can wander out of the scene when looking up at the sky portion of the image.
I think a small sliver of sky is good, just above the peaks in the distance? That kind of balances things for me.

I really appreciate your feedback...Cheers.

Thank you, Maggie.

In regard to 'Winnats Pass' shot, you've opened my eyes up about leaving the sky in or not. I do get what you might be saying about it because the eye can wander out of the scene when looking up at the sky portion of the image.
I think a small sliver of sky is good, just above the peaks in the distance? That kind of balances things for me.

I really appreciate your feedback...Cheers.

Oh, I do like it better without the clouds and they were pulling my eye.. now I have sky but it keeps my eyes in the right place. Glad you tried it out! :) Maggie