• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

... I am well pleased.

____i_am_well_pleased_by_tricky_trees-dakfarp.jpg

It's fun to post-process, particularly with a photo (or photos) you had to take but knew weren't going to work out well. The first photo in this composite was of a 'seagull convention' above a restaurant patio. A problem was that my carry-everywhere Canon M with a lowly 22mm lens made speckles of the seagulls. The second was of formless a patch of coloured light made by the sun's rays passing through a stained glass window hanging. The third was a blurry portrait. Creation after-the-fact was a lot more fun than the picture taking. The final image might even have value for those that like symbolic pictures. Do others among you enjoy doing similar things? If so, what do you do with the products?
Cheers, Mike.

Jerome Marot

How can I say that politely? My eyes hurt. The colours.

Charlotte is doing it much better. I can't do that kind of picture myself, BTW, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
____i_am_well_pleased_by_tricky_trees-dakfarp.jpg

It's fun to post-process, particularly with a photo (or photos) you had to take but knew weren't going to work out well. The first photo in this composite was of a 'seagull convention' above a restaurant patio. A problem was that my carry-everywhere Canon M with a lowly 22mm lens made speckles of the seagulls. The second was of formless a patch of coloured light made by the sun's rays passing through a stained glass window hanging. The third was a blurry portrait. Creation after-the-fact was a lot more fun than the picture taking. The final image might even have value for those that like symbolic pictures. Do others among you enjoy doing similar things? If so, what do you do with the products?
Cheers, Mike.

Mike,

Jerome is right, it's an unholy mess of colors. But that is a good thing. It's important, for at least some of us, to occasionally leave behind the obviously normal and complimentary sets of colors we normally aspire to gather for our images. I like some disorder every so often and ability to risk being wrong!

I also post some images which can be questioned. The essence of what excites me might only reside in one portion and there might not be enough of "a rest of it" to make it an entirely worthy picture. Those who post perfect images are on safer ground.

Asher

How can I say that politely? My eyes hurt. The colours.

Charlotte is doing it much better. I can't do that kind of picture myself, BTW, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Hi Jerome The last time I heard anyone say "My eyes hurt" was by a youngish man on American death row during a documentary about capital punishment. So I found your choice of words amusing :). I admire Charlotte's overlays, too, but the "it" she aims for is not the same "it" I referred to. Charlotte's "it" relates to artistic merit, whereas mine is more hedonistic, having creative fun. The questions I asked were directed not toward critique but curiosity about what others on OPFI do with imperfect photos they have an attachment toward. Cheers and thanks for your reply. Mike.

Mike,

Jerome is right, it's an unholy mess of colors. But that is a good thing. It's important, for at least some of us, to occasionally leave behind the obviously normal and complimentary sets of colors we normally aspire to gather for our images. I like some disorder every so often and ability to risk being wrong!

I also post some images which can be questioned. The essence of what excites me might only reside in one portion and there might not be enough of "a rest of it" to make it an entirely worthy picture. Those who post perfect images are on safer ground.

Asher

I love the choice of words "an unholy mess of colours". It is indeed. You clearly picked up on the New Testament connotation in the title.

As mentioned in the reply to Jerome, I'm curious about what photographers do for creative fun, which picks up on an earlier thread that fizzled out in some disarray http://What's It All About. For lots of photographers, the joy mainly comes from taking pictures. But I know from experience that, without the incentive of post-processing, my cameras would gather dust for long periods. Although I mainly post-process to improve an existing photo, sometimes the incentive is to create something outlandish and new. Are there others on OPFI like me and, if so, what do you do with your novel creations?

Jerome Marot

I love the choice of words "an unholy mess of colours". It is indeed. You clearly picked up on the New Testament connotation in the title.

I had to look it up. It is not easy to recognise bits of verses in a foreign language. As a bonus, here is the French version of Matthew 3:17: Et des cieux, une voix disait : « Celui-ci est mon Fils bien-aimé, en qui je trouve ma joie. »

Still: if you are having creative fun with unholy colours, who am I to say anything against it?

As mentioned in the reply to Jerome, I'm curious about what photographers do for creative fun

I don't particularly enjoy the kind of post-processing needed to combine different images into one. I enjoy combining pictures into a cohesive series.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

As mentioned in the reply to Jerome, I'm curious about what photographers do for creative fun, which picks up on an earlier thread that fizzled out in some disarray http://What's It All About. For lots of photographers, the joy mainly comes from taking pictures. But I know from experience that, without the incentive of post-processing, my cameras would gather dust for long periods. Although I mainly post-process to improve an existing photo, sometimes the incentive is to create something outlandish and new. Are there others on OPFI like me and, if so, what do you do with your novel creations?

Michael,

I do play around for fun. I will try to find examples for you.

Asher

I don't particularly enjoy the kind of post-processing needed to combine different images into one. I enjoy combining pictures into a cohesive series.

A noble undertaking, Jerome: one that requires different mentation from that described earlier in this thread.

Things that fascinate me about creative work of any kind include awareness of when to stop - knowing that the product is as good as its going to get, given practical constraints - and whether such knowledge comes from a prior template about what constitutes a good product or insight (a best guess) that occurs after experimentation, which is another word for play. I suspect that Jerome creates a template before producing his series, with mentation by most photographers proceeding along similar lines. Probably the most common type of template is to copy or adapt the style of this or that famous photographer or to follow received wisdom from this or that set of rules.

Were this discussion about creativity in science instead of photography, the typical product would likely be just another ‘parametric study’ with marginal, rather than ground breaking, significance: ‘Just another brick in the wall’, to quote Pink Floyd. In the photographic field, however, preferences of the intended audiences (other photographers, clients) veer toward the traditional and conservative. They like pretty bricks in walls.

The pressures in ‘art as a business’ are toward conformity; works with minor departures from standard stuff get ‘likes’ on Internet sites and bought by clients. Some photographers broke with tradition but few gained credibility. When they did, it was often because an influential critic wrote something provocative – think of Mapplethorpe, Goldin and Arbus in the pre-Photoshop days. It’s not a much different story among other forms of art – think of DH Lawrence and James Joyce in literature. These chosen few differed from the horde of artists because they did not follow received wisdom, were their own primary audience, and endured long hours in effortful play that ended in a ‘ah ha’ moment when the created product seemed as good as it could get.

My guess is that most of us at different times are both kinds of photographer. I do conventional work; some of which gets posted here, but every now and again a playful muse arises. But what happens to those playful images – the ones meant for me rather than an audience? The answer is that they usually reside unseen on my MacBook Pro. Except for this one, which I now happily think of as ‘an unholy mess of colour’ :)

Some photographers consider that an image should stand by itself, maybe even without a title. I disagree, especially when the meaning of an image is likely to be obscure to everyone bar its creator. The act of creation involved three photos chosen for reasons that seemed random at the time. I won’t boor you with technical details, but the process took seemingly random twists and turns for about an hour. When the image was done, I liked it but didn’t know why. Because the image needed a title, Matthew 3:17 came to mind: “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.’ Well, since the image was my creation and I liked it, I was well pleased.

Some days later, I looked again at the image, considered some minor clean-ups, still liked it, but wondered why. Moreover, why had I chosen to post this image intended only for personal consumption? So I started a retrospective analysis of the creative process to try to figure it out. Two resonations that came to mind were lines of poetry that I’ve always found impressive:

Dylan Thomas: “Do not go gentle into that dark night … Rage, rage against the dying of the light”;

Sylvia Plath: “Dying is an art … I do it exceptionally well … I guess you could say I’ve a call”.

Wow! Now I understood the meaning of the image. The base photo was of shrieking seagulls flying overhead. The portrait was of someone I’m close to, now in palliative care. The random array of saturated colors in the third photo annulled the dying of the light, which enabled the dying woman to exert artistic control of her last domain. She would like that. This insight that I'd unknowingly composed a requiem was why the image seemed right because of an unholy mess of colours.

Cheers, Mike.