• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yorkshire Dales '16

Paul Abbott

Taken whilst out walking in the Dales, (yesterday, 16th/ 10). Anyway, if I can say anything, then that dry stone walling knows no bounds, all but for a town or a city, I can tell you.

yorkshiredales_1_of_1_1280.jpg

Whernside Pasture - Yorkshire Dales, W. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

westscalepark_2_1_of_1_1280.jpg

West Scale Park - Yorkshire Dales, W. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Taken whilst out walking in the Dales, (yesterday, 16th/ 10). Anyway, if I can say anything, then that dry stone walling knows no bounds, all but for a town or a city, I can tell you.

yorkshiredales_1_of_1_1280.jpg

Whernside Pasture - Yorkshire Dales, W. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

westscalepark_2_1_of_1_1280.jpg

West Scale Park - Yorkshire Dales, W. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

These walls which break up the rolling landscape have the proof within them of hundreds, if not thousands of years of land division, inheritance and trading. There is another side to it. As one farms over the generations, one gets to clear the intervening land of rocks that make farming and plowing difficult. In some rural places like Eastern Turkey near the Syriam border, such stones might be merely piled up in a corner as a series of 2 meter loose pyramids, just to get the rocks out of the way.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Yeah, your right, Asher.

While hedgerows are most common in the lowlands, the south; it's mainly in the highlands and uplands where dry-stone walling is mostly found.

Dry-stone walls are not merely features of agricultural interest though; they are in a sense, living history really; a legacy of the movement towards enclosure of common farming and the grazing of the land as English society moved away from feudalism.
As individual landowners abandoned farming in favour of raising sheep and cattle, they enclosed the land which had been owned or used "in common", by all the inhabitants of a village. The right to use the common land was lost as landowners enclosed fields and, in some cases, evicted villagers to make room for sheep! :)
The dry-stone walling at higher elevations are mainly for enclosing sheep, and these walls are the most regular and may run for many miles across an otherwise vast and forbidding landscape, no matter the contours involved.

I personally think dry-stone walling is a remarkable feat of engineering, admittedly there are rocky outcroppings within the landscape where the rocks can be accessed (although, not always the case), but the sheer amount of work, time and effort that must have went into achieving this feat amazes me.

Paul Abbott

Thanks, Antonio. I'm pleased you like them.
As for Hadrian's Wall, I have to say I have never visited the site and you have just reminded me to do so at some point. :)