• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moorland - Edale, Derbyshire '16

Paul Abbott

I've not shown much of a focal point here but i've tried to show a focus in the tapestry like make-up of the moorland itself, and it's colours.

edalemoorslopes_1_of_1_1280.jpg

Moorland - Edale, Derbyshire '16 - Paul Abbott

I've not shown much of a focal point here but i've tried to show a focus in the tapestry like make-up of the moorland itself, and it's colours.

edalemoorslopes_1_of_1_1280.jpg

Moorland - Edale, Derbyshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Just beautiful. The sense of emptiness and space that seems to go on forever is something I loved about the Peak District. In a different context and in a different way, the flat Canadian prairies evoke similar feelings in me. Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The British Isles is not merely a site, like Madrid, Rome, Alexandria or Athens of great world power and culture, but also of major and amazing paleontological finds, civilizations that preceeded all these Empires and man-made structures more massive than imaginable.

So when I see these rolling hills, apparently empty and seemingly having nothing especially intriguing, I feel that everywhere, there are hidden riches. For some reason, the Islands of the UK has a special attraction for early creatures, migrating tribes and some special resources that allowed animals and man to flourish.

I think there is a lot more to be discovered besides the beauty of nature and the solitude of these beautiful and haunting landscapes.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks, Michael. On the moors especially, the emptiness can purvey a sense of bleakness too, especially so with the likes of the North York moors and Saddleworth (where Myra Hindley and Ian Brady buried three of their child victims), and they can be quite easy to get lost in, without a map and a compass. There is a sense of the wilderness too...

Asher, whenever i'm in places like this I often wonder about the ancient Britons and Celts, and how their lives might have played out in these landscapes. I think about the Romans too; in the north east of England you can see what were once old Roman roads; they are as straight as a die and run for miles in some cases, they're still used to this day of course.
I agree with all you say, and I believe that the earth still holds it's treasures, of which soil erosion and the weather will help yield, given time.

Andy brown

Great stuff Paul.
You have a lovely knack of doing geometric shapes in a dance like way. Not easy to do at all. Very smooth to the eye.