• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sole Trade

Robert Watcher

A week ago I was in a city 4 hours from where I am living in Guatemala. I came across a scene that I hadn't seen specifically as of yet. It was a man sitting on the street outside a home, resoling and repairing shoes of the person inside. all his tools, glues and pieces of leather were scattered around him.

Unfortunately I was not in a position to take his photo at that time - even though I desperately wanted to. I wasn't sure I would come across that opportunity again.

Well I did. This morning, while walking around a slightly more affluent area at the other end of the city from where I live - there sat a man on the street with his tools, pieces of leathers leaned up against the wall behind hime - - - fixing several pairs of shoes that had been brought out to him.

I didn't let this opportunity pass me by. I got his name, but it was very unusual and I didn't write it down. Unfortunately he didn't have email or a Facebook account, so I wasn't able to find a means where I can deliver copies of the images to. Hopefully I come across him again in the future.

OLYMPUS.jpg

OLYMPUS-2.jpg

-----------

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A week ago I was in a city 4 hours from where I am living in Guatemala. I came across a scene that I hadn't seen specifically as of yet. It was a man sitting on the street outside a home, resoling and repairing shoes of the person inside. all his tools, glues and pieces of leather were scattered around him.

Unfortunately I was not in a position to take his photo at that time - even though I desperately wanted to. I wasn't sure I would come across that opportunity again.

Well I did. This morning, while walking around a slightly more affluent area at the other end of the city from where I live - there sat a man on the street with his tools, pieces of leathers leaned up against the wall behind hime - - - fixing several pairs of shoes that had been brought out to him.

I didn't let this opportunity pass me by. I got his name, but it was very unusual and I didn't write it down. Unfortunately he didn't have email or a Facebook account, so I wasn't able to find a means where I can deliver copies of the images to. Hopefully I come across him again in the future.

OLYMPUS.jpg

OLYMPUS-2.jpg

-----------

Robert,

That's a pretty looking motorbike. Does that mean he does a brisk business? I see he has a last on the ground at the right. But everything must fit into that box. Quite efficient. Still, would he really use leather for gym shoes? I would imagine that it must take some time and clamping to fix on a new sole. So the process puzzles me.

Asher

Robert Watcher

No the leather won't be for the gym shoes. He's just set up with everything there and people bring their repairs to him while he sitting there. The car lots are filled with vehicles from early 2,000, 1990's and even back to the 70's. They all look good. So I don't that his bike looking in decent condition is a reflection of the briskness of his business.

------------

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Robert,

Given all the news of the deluge of immigrants that threaten the USA, it's exemplary to see here a modest but, I believe representative generalization one can make about Hispanics coming from South America.

Like this itinerant fellow repairing shoes, the cultures seem to produce hardy, self-sufficient industrious individuals who are dedicated to their trade.

No matter how disadvantaged in facilities and equipment, there's remarkable ingenuity for simply getting things done with the resources at hand.

Israelis and Vietnamese share these positive "make do me matter the obstacles" characteristics! Too often other folk give up because all that's "needed" is not ordered before them!

Here in the USA, there is not enough general knowledge of the key roles the immigrants from South America make to our economy and success at bargain rates.

So seeing your picture of this mobile shoe repairman endorses my respect and admiration for this ability to just get the job done no matter what! In fact this picture is thrilling to me and is a lesson to our kids who might justify why they cannot do some task before them!

Thanks again for your sharp eye in recognizing the social significance of street scenes and not just bringing us pretty color and exoticism!

Asher