• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: The North Cornwall Coast with the Fuji X100T

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

In recent times I've moved to using the Fuji X100T as my only camera. Combined with the wide angle and telephoto converter lenses available this gives 35mm equivalent focal lengths of 28mm, 35mm and 50mm.

In a strange way I've found working with just these 3 focal lengths quite liberating. No more zooming slightly in or slightly out; I tend to choose a focal length for a shoot and then just stick with it, forcing me to find creative angles that work with my choice.

Anyway, last week I was away with the family for a holiday in Cornwall in the UK, and snuck out of our cottage one evening to walk down to the local rocky beach - known as Marsland Mouth. It was my first chance to try some long exposure photography with the X100T, and I came away pretty pleased.

These were all taken with the WCL on, so 28mm equivalent focal length, together with a 2 stop graduated filter and the the Lee Big Stopper (10 Stop ND). Exposure times varied from around 30sec through to 2 minutes as the sun slowly set.

2015_07_ASx100t6291_AndrewStannard.jpg

2015_07_ASx100t6295_AndrewStannard.jpg

2015_07_ASx100t6301_AndrewStannard.jpg

2015_07_ASx100t6302_AndrewStannard.jpg

One of the things I found shooting on this beach was that were almost too may different compositions available. Trying to find a combination of rocks that didn't look too chaotic was actually quite a challenge (and resulted in wet feet a few times!). All in all a fun evenings photography though.

Thanks for looking,
Andrew.

fahim mohammed

A very beautiful part of England, Andrew. And beautifully captured.
Thoroughly enjoyed viewing these images.

Take care.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Thanks Fahim,

It is indeed a beautiful part of the world. The whole coastline is just beautiful. Hopefully I'll be back there again one day.

Looking out across the sea there is nothing between you and North America apart from the Atlantic Ocean.

Regards,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

In recent times I've moved to using the Fuji X100T as my only camera. Combined with the wide angle and telephoto converter lenses available this gives 35mm equivalent focal lengths of 28mm, 35mm and 50mm.

In a strange way I've found working with just these 3 focal lengths quite liberating. No more zooming slightly in or slightly out; I tend to choose a focal length for a shoot and then just stick with it, forcing me to find creative angles that work with my choice.

Anyway, last week I was away with the family for a holiday in Cornwall in the UK, and snuck out of our cottage one evening to walk down to the local rocky beach - known as Marsland Mouth. It was my first chance to try some long exposure photography with the X100T, and I came away pretty pleased.

These were all taken with the WCL on, so 28mm equivalent focal length, together with a 2 stop graduated filter and the the Lee Big Stopper (10 Stop ND). Exposure times varied from around 30sec through to 2 minutes as the sun slowly set.

2015_07_ASx100t6291_AndrewStannard.jpg

2015_07_ASx100t6295_AndrewStannard.jpg

2015_07_ASx100t6301_AndrewStannard.jpg

2015_07_ASx100t6302_AndrewStannard.jpg

One of the things I found shooting on this beach was that were almost too may different compositions available. Trying to find a combination of rocks that didn't look too chaotic was actually quite a challenge (and resulted in wet feet a few times!). All in all a fun evenings photography though.

Thanks for looking,
Andrew.

Andrew,

This is so new to me and very tempting, but I realize that there are a lot of creative choices hidden here to make this magic in metallic hues and lairs of dragons appear like this!

Kudos for a great sense of vision and the skill to show what you have imagined!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Andrew,

I remembered this and wondered about the use of the filter to bring out the creamy waters. This is an interesting commitment as to how you want to show the water and the sky.

I have been wondering a lot about this as I would have never thought to do such a thing. The result is impressive and something I would have myself missed.

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Thanks Asher,

Long exposures of water often seem to be a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

In coastal photography such this, I often find it helps with simplifying the composition. The chaotic jumble of small waves can otherwise often lead the eye all over the place, whereas when smoothed out you are able to direct the composition with the surrounding rocks.

You lose something of the feeling of 'power' of the water though, and so if that's what you're after I think shorter exposures work best.

P.S Just realised my comparison to Marmite might be a UK only thing. If it's caused confusion then it's a food people tend to either love or hate. I hate the stuff :)

Regards,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher,

Long exposures of water often seem to be a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

In coastal photography such this, I often find it helps with simplifying the composition. The chaotic jumble of small waves can otherwise often lead the eye all over the place, whereas when smoothed out you are able to direct the composition with the surrounding rocks.

You lose something of the feeling of 'power' of the water though, and so if that's what you're after I think shorter exposures work best.

P.S Just realised my comparison to Marmite might be a UK only thing. If it's caused confusion then it's a food people tend to either love or hate. I hate the stuff :)

Andrew,

I find all water scenes challenging. What happens to reflections, spray and the presence of the place when a blanket of silence comes down with the removal of movement. But as you point out, chaos is calmed too!

The most difficult are tall waterfalls where one has to get a great composition and yet see detail and reproduced the sense of presence.

I always struggle and have thought of overlaying spray afterwards, but so far, I have not suceeded!

Asher