• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

All By Myself...

K.Hannah

Here are two photos of a Donkey I took in town. Not the main road... the main road IS tarred! Still have donkeys on it sometimes but at least it is tarred... anywhoo I sort of like the first one better but, what do you guys think?

33391267555_a1aacdba38_b.jpg

32577181963_222e9e8a37_b.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Katin,

Here are two photos of a Donkey I took in town. Not the main road... the main road IS tarred! Still have donkeys on it sometimes but at least it is tarred... anywhoo I sort of like the first one better but, what do you guys think?

33391267555_a1aacdba38_b.jpg

The first one, certainly.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

32577181963_222e9e8a37_b.jpg

Well done!

This is your "trademark" and defense against blind nationalism, sports mania, bigots and folk who see magic!

Long live our lifeline to reality and hope, humor!​

Asher

K.Hannah

Well done!

This is your "trademark" and defense against blind nationalism, sports mania, bigots and folk who see magic!

Long live our lifeline to reality and hope, humor!​

Asher

Hey!! Don't diss magic! Anyone who has seen the perfect sun beam light up a flowers petals has seem a moment of magic!

Oh I have read far to much Terry Pratchett and Xanth novels to NOT have gained a little humour along the way :p lol As for any sort of nationalism... I don't think I have a nationalist bone in my body, this I think comes from coming from a county where the national flag looks like a pair of bright Y fronts. (a type of underwear) lmao.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Reaction to apparently distracting elements!

I find the vehicle in the background very distracting.

Michael,

I agree, but I allow for the artist's intent, or else everyone should make photographs with our own unquestionably good guidelines.

However, there are schools of photography that echew even removing a dented cola can from a otherwise pristine wedding picture, as they strive for "the truth".

Maggie Terlackie, one of our OPF photographers, often quotes the late Leonard Cohen's poetry

"There's a crack, a crack in everything. That's where the light comes in!"

So for in this instance, the kind of "out of place", distracting element as the truck, could add contrast, absurdity, or an opening for a testing of some accepted ideas we take for granted, or it could be simply poor taste.

I am generous and humble about these things. After all, my own lack of immediate appreciation might be down to inexperience. There may be a new range of ideation that I am not yet qualified or interlectually or culturally prepared to entertain right now.

To really appreciate heads by Picasso one might need to already be familiar with the work by Matisse that inspired him!

Not that I put these pictures on the same rare plane of achievement. Rather I am constantly aware that art appreciation has many dependencies that I might not have experienced as yet. So while I might say, "Why on earth didn't you clone away that distracting truck?" I won't declare that the photograph is fatally flawed. However, I might do that if the photographer's explanation seems absurd!

Asher