• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Ouch!

Peter Dexter

Here is a caterpillar I saw today.

24714680617_1c30be38c2_b.jpg

As I moved it gently into position for the photo with a piece of plastic at hand I think the tip of one of the spines broke off as they are designed to do when anything brushes against them and the globule is the venom it would inject. It was pretty viscous. Not sure though.

24714679647_2f51ab051b_b.jpg

Should you brush against caterpillars with spikes or urticating hairs the result can be quite painful (personal experience). These caterpillars have venom sacs at the base of the spikes. The spike tips are quite fragile and designed to break off at the least provocation. Venom is then injected into the passerby.

In my case (with a different critter) the pain was quite strong and lasted a good hour. By comparison the ant bite stings I get here are intense but the pain is gone after a couple of minutes.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is a caterpillar I saw today.

24714680617_1c30be38c2_b.jpg

As I moved it gently into position for the photo with a piece of plastic at hand I think the tip of one of the spines broke off as they are designed to do when anything brushes against them and the globule is the venom it would inject. It was pretty viscous. Not sure though.

24714679647_2f51ab051b_b.jpg

Should you brush against caterpillars with spikes or urticating hairs the result can be quite painful (personal experience). These caterpillars have venom sacs at the base of the spikes. The spike tips are quite fragile and designed to break off at the least provocation. Venom is then injected into the passerby.

In my case (with a different critter) the pain was quite strong and lasted a good hour. By comparison the ant bite stings I get here are intense but the pain is gone after a couple of minutes.

Peter,

You not only spot the thing but start a masters thesis on it, LOL!

Insects are really so amazing. Such a lot of organization to go through these primitive/juvenile stages. What evolutionary advantage do these distant cousins of ours have in going to all this complexity?

Asher