• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Painting with light

Antonio Correia

Next year, last week of August and first of September I will be exposing in Sesimbra, Portugal.
The available area, belonging to the Town Hall is quite interesting. Just a clean rectangle with enough natural light and acceptable light also at night.
I belong to a small group of photographers from this village which is 35 kilometers from Setúbal.

This time I decided to try to sell some images. There is usually a lot of tourists around and perhaps I am lucky and sell ... one ! LOL
I want and will make 12 3/4 images and another one large enough to a small wall and I will be exposing... flowers. Yes, flowers. I have already talked to the guy who sells them and he will be preparing the bouquets for me. I will take advantage and will make also some shots of "single" flowers.
The images will be done at home with a torch. I will paint the light on the bouquets, come to CC and work on them.
I have already tried something with available artificial flowers and what came out is this.
Thank you for viewing :)

i-FWGGRFF-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Exposing = "having and exhibition"!

This is a brave enterprise. Have you worked out what the light distribution should be or you will just vary it and see what happens?

I have never done light-painting of objects, only light writing by moving my camera in respect to a light source!

This is a good experiment for someone who is already masterful using light for portraits. This seems much more tricky than using strobes!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Next year, last week of August and first of September I will be exposing in Sesimbra, Portugal.
The available area, belonging to the Town Hall is quite interesting. Just a clean rectangle with enough natural light and acceptable at night.
I belong to a small group of photographers from this village which is 35 kilometers from Setúbal.

This time I decided to try to sell some images. There is usually a lot of tourists around and perhaps I am lucky and sell ... one ! LOL

This is a unique opportunity. Tou have a long time to prepare! Good luck!!

I have already tried something with available artificial flowers and what came out is this.

i-FWGGRFF-XL.jpg

I was surprised that these are artificial flowers. Seems like there is a risk that your lighting won't be transferable to real flowers as they will have different translucency.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Antonio

As the light at Portugal is marvellous, try it with windows, daylight and a black background, I do that again and again and the results are great ...

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
The available area, belonging to the Town Hall is quite interesting. Just a clean rectangle with enough natural light and acceptable at night.

I want and will make 12 3/4 images and another one large enough to a small wall and I will be exposing... flowers. Yes, flowers. I have already talked to the guy who sells them and he will be preparing the bouquets for me. I will take advantage and will make also some shots of "single" flowers.
The images will be done at home with a torch. I will paint the light on the bouquets, come to CC and work on them.

i-FWGGRFF-XL.jpg

Asher might be right with his comment about fake/real flower, however, no one is protected from good surprise(s)!
This work is excellent, technically perfect, just a (very) little bit too "clean" for me… why not adding a slight breeze…
Antonio: One can only suggest and critic that one likes!

Antonio Correia

My dear friends,

I will keep the notice e-mail as a reminder, as I will be unavailable for a couple of days.

Meanwhile, here is another of my experiences using the same technique. Not successfully, I think. One can almost say that it was shot with a large light source and that is not the idea. The idea is to get shapes enhanced by contours of light. See Harold Ross.

Thank you for watching ! See you soon. :)

i-f8SBjhh-XL.jpg

i-XQPXnSC-XL.jpg

Antonio Correia

Exposing = "having and exhibition"!
This is a brave enterprise. Have you worked out what the light distribution should be or you will just vary it and see what happens?
I have never done light-painting of objects, only light writing by moving my camera in respect to a light source!
This is a good experiment for someone who is already masterful using light for portraits. This seems much more tricky than using strobes! Asher

I post below two photos of the area where I will expose. I have not yet talked to the Town Hall about moving the light bit I think that it will not be a problem.
Indeed Asher, light painting is a little bit trickier than using the strobes. I made some more experiences yesterday and the results were very poor to begin with but I improved later on.
I have ordered Luis to build a single LED for me with a potentiometer so I can under the same distance, give more or less light. Later on I will show you the "equipment" as it is not done yet.
As you can all see the room is very "clean". I have measured the distances and I will be doing a plan for the placement of the images. No more than 10/12 in the longest wall.

Thank you fro "the good luck" :)

i-xmf4p3m-M.jpg
-
i-2P49skh-M.jpg

... I was surprised that these are artificial flowers. Seems like there is a risk that your lighting won't be transferable to real flowers as they will have different translucency. Asher

I am sure natural flowers will produce a better result. I have already contacted the shop and made an arrangement with it so I will have fresh flowers for the job. This will be done gradually, along the time with different flowers according to the season.
-
Hi Antonio As the light at Portugal is marvellous, try it with windows, daylight and a black background, I do that again and again and the results are great ...

Thank you Wolfgang ! :) That is a good idea but I want to present 10/12 images treated the same way with the same background and light. As was much influenced but the work of Harold Ross. Obviously I will not be at his standards but I will make my best for sure.
-
Asher might be right with his comment about fake/real flower, however, no one is protected from good surprise(s)! This work is excellent, technically perfect, just a (very) little bit too "clean" for me… why not adding a slight breeze… Antonio: One can only suggest and critic that one likes!

Thank you Nicolas for your constructive critique. I also think that the flowers are too "clean". I have already tried some modifications but unsuccessfully, so far.
-
I have learned so far, that the size of the light source has a large influence on the final results. I have got two different torches and the other will be coming soon as mentioned above.
I also wish to shoot tethered. However, using my GX7 with it's app will allows me to have a quick and small preview.
Here another experiment. The light sources are too big for the size of the subject. I have also verified that the light from the iPad or from the iPhone is good as long as one has a white photo on them.

i-xvWxcxn-XL.jpg

i-2Jn3kkv-XL.jpg

Antonio Correia

@ Nicolas
Thank you Nicolas. I will try. But I suspect that it will not work nicely.

Why ? Because the light is too strong and scattered. The light from the iPad or iPhone I was referring to, was the light from the main screen itself, where I had previously saved a white image.
-
@ Patel
Thank you Patel. But I am very far away from what I would like to do. Obviously I will not come to the level of Ross but I have to try and make my best.
I wish I could attend one of his workshops...
One among many of his images. Look at this beauty !

i-mBdqJrX-M.png

Jerome Marot

Hi Antonio

As the light at Portugal is marvellous, try it with windows, daylight and a black background, I do that again and again and the results are great ...

I'll second that advice, but without the black background. A black background makes flowers very dominant in a living room setting and therefore a tough sell. And you said you want to sell pictures.

I also remember the bouquets that Paula Chamlee presented at the L.A. exhibition. She sold some. You can check the series here:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/html/photographs_details.php?From-the-Field-an-ongoing-series-from-2011-3

Each time I look at that series, I am reminded that floral arrangements are a lot more difficult than they appear and then photography adds another layer of difficulty as the arrangement must be nice when projected on a flat surface. The details like the vase and the surface of the table are also carefully chosen. I could not do what she does.

12-45-1209-10-24_001.jpg

The first image in Paula's series.​

Antonio Correia

I'll second that advice, but without the black background. A black background makes flowers very dominant in a living room setting and therefore a tough sell. And you said you want to sell pictures.
I also remember the bouquets that Paula Chamlee presented at the L.A. exhibition. She sold some. You can check the series here:
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/html/photographs_details.php?From-the-Field-an-ongoing-series-from-2011-3
Each time I look at that series, I am reminded that floral arrangements are a lot more difficult than they appear and then photography adds another layer of difficulty as the arrangement must be nice when projected on a flat surface. The details like the vase and the surface of the table are also carefully chosen. I could not do what she does.
The first image in Paula's series.

Thank you Jerome for your great comment ! :)

I do remember Paula's work. At the time, I saw some of her works at Asher's home. Large, very sharp, superbly printed on Dibond (or similar), very nice indeed.

Mine would be a very different approach. I am already saying "would be" because your comment made me think about all this. Indeed, I will not achieve the perfection of neither Paula's nor Ross' work !

The idea of using natural light, (or even artificial one) poses other type of problems such as the room where to shoot, the color of the walls, the color of the furniture as I do not have an empty room to occupy.

But... wait a second... may be I do have a room to occupy (!!!) but only with artificial light available: a garage with low ceiling and as large as 4 meters. Long enough for a 6 meters car. White walls and white ceiling just painted a few days ago. I will have to think the project all over again...

On the other hand, I am very confident I will find nice and beautifully arranged bouquets to photograph !

Good point Jerome. Thank you ! You made me think and perhaps move into another direction...

I will keep reporting ! :) :)

Asher Kelman

The first try of the final images.
A lot of adjustments still to run...

i-VT3Rnf4-X3.jpg
Well Antonio,

This is so different from the esthetics, emotions and ideas of Paula Chamlee's work that Jerome just reminded us of!

The two pictures are built of different elements entirely. Her photograph represents fragile flowers collected, barefoot, in the woods and valleys in Pennsylvania, while the sun is in the sky, and arranged like a delicate Japanese water colors barely kissing the surface of handmade rice paper!

Yours, by contrast is stalwart! It represents a bold masculine assembly of flowers, in lit in Rembrandt's Studio by candl light at night. The flowers are huddled together, elders assembled to advise on policy and outlook for our societies future.

Hers is about transience, your is conjures up a sense unity as a bulwark against individual failings, fragility and weakness.

I like what you have built as it casts a spell. It remains to be seen how you find it as a print!

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for your comment.
I bought the flowers today to this purpose and I have been working on them for a couple of ours.
As nobody has taught me and I have only seen some Youtube videos I have been struggling with the kind of light I would use.
I have some problems with the white balance which I know how to overcome.

But from my recent experience (couple of minutes ago) a small pen was the best, so far !
The iPad is also fine

The flowers are not wet and they should, for example... one in some errors.

Now, it is time to sleep. Tomorrow I will keep the work.

Wrong move ! The computer just failed when I was trying to make a light and I have not previously saved the work ! So, I will have to start from scratch...

However, I am going to bed and keep it "thinking". I will see how and if it did anything, in the morning.

Antonio Correia

Good morning ! Nothing. The computer was struggling when I arrived. I forced to quit CC
But it recovered the file.
Here it is. 13 layers, some specular lights to correct, 2,5 GB

i-fSvcPpk-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Final work. Left or right ?

i-NgVdNkw-X2.jpg
i-8XFghKX-X2.jpg

The input I would seek here is the opinion of Maggie Terlecki. She has a special insight in such colors. I would look at a gradient of colors in the b.g. Black seems to me very harsh, even though it's the truth of the matter!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Perhaps you are right Asher...

On the other hand the bouquet fills a large area of the rectangle which diminishes the impact of the black...
I have doubts myself about this black and radical solution.

A different background is an added difficulty for me.

Thank you Asher for your comment ! :)

Asher Kelman

Perhaps you are right Asher...

On the other hand the bouquet fills a large area of the rectangle which diminishes the impact of the black...
I have doubts myself about this black and radical solution.

A different background is an added difficulty for me.

Thank you Asher for your comment ! :)

I would only dare to offer such extreme confrontation for corrections of a picture seemingly "ready to show" to an already accomplished photographer, (who's portraits grabbed the attention of the director of the Portrait Gallery in London when he visited at the time of our majorcexhibition in Los Angeles several years ago)!

A naive photographer might be crushed!

Also I know that you know I value your new path and risks that define an artist: "openness to new experience".

This, after all is the fascination of OPF, watching and enjoying our "Journeys to the Masterpiece"!

Asher

Jerome Marot

This is so different from the esthetics, emotions and ideas of Paula Chamlee's work that Jerome just reminded us of!

The two pictures are built of different elements entirely. Her photograph represents fragile flowers collected, barefoot, in the woods and valleys in Pennsylvania, while the sun is in the sky, and arranged like a delicate Japanese water colors barely kissing the surface of handmade rice paper!

I did not know she collected the flowers barefoot, but her images indeed tell a story. When I look at the pictures, I imagine a large country house with meadows in summer. I imagine someone, a woman, dressed in white walking in the meadows and collecting flowers. She wears a summer hat. I imagine that the house has large horizontal windows and white walls.
Obviously, I get this ideas because of the kind of flowers, the kind of bouquet, the type of light chosen, even the table cloth.

You cited Maggie Terlecki. Maggie has a real gift for colour, her pictures always fall as naturally in traditional colour schemes, often "split complementary". I posted an explanation of colour theory some time ago, but I am sure that Antonio studied these theories as an architect. Maggie Terlecki's images also tell a story to be, albeit a different one. When I look at the pictures, I imagine a victorian house with tall windows with drapes, more opulent furniture and a garden in fall. I imagine a walk under tall trees, the light of Indian summer, fallen leaves on the ground, flowers beds in a well tended garden. Maybe someone has brought a basket full of fruits in the house. Quite a different story, again because of the light and type of arrangement, but a story nevertheless.

Antonio wrote he wants to sell the pictures. I imagine that the pictures which sell most tell a story which fits best to the kind of house they will be displayed in.

Antonio,

I'm late to this discussion but some difficult and sad situations made that I was just not available at all.

When I look at your images, I, like Jerome, do not like the upside down one, as it could be alright if actually taken upside down, but since it was not, it looks flipped.

Now, I don't mind a black background (yes, most of mine probably have some soft background)but I can see with doing light painting and wanting them all to work as an ensemble, your thoughts here. Your flowers, to me, feel a little too contrived... like someone took too much time arranging them so I get no emotional response from seeing them. Think of it as the beautiful portraits that you do. The best are the ones where the person looks natural; where we can feel a connection to them. If they look too posed, we feel that and lose that sensibility that make them wonderful.

Also, it's difficult since your flowers are all clumped together. I want them to breathe, to give them any space to speak, if you want. Have you tried posting just a few flowers or by themselves. I do not tend to use flowers that are too stiff, either like florist's roses instead of the frillier and more feminine garden ones or flowers where the stem has no bend. If the stem is stiff, then the flower must have movement in its petals. If you can get wiry stemmed flowers... they really seem to have emotion but sometimes that is not available and you can still get a message across by simplifying things, I think.

I've only done a bit of light painting and not with flowers, but since you are using a tripod then use a soft light and a slower timing.. this will allow you to get a softer final look. I would also try to avoid going under the leaves as you did with the sturdier stems as that does not give depth but instead a view of something that leaves the brain a little confused why there is so much light there.

I have to say that doing this with flowers is extremely brave and probably difficult but I'm curious to see where this leads you. Best of luck.

p.s. I'm not an authority on this, but thought I' d give my opinion, to take or not as you please.
Also, both Asher and Jerome, thank you both for your kind words about me. :) Maggie

lettinggo1.jpg

comfort1.jpg

peony1.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thanks Maggie for bringing your innate blessings to this thread.

Antonio has more experience than most to bring to this challenge. I am thrilled to see mural aid here.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Maggie for all the time you spent giving me advices. I do thank you for doing so.
I am so impressed by the work of Harold Ross that I took the decision to make something similar with flowers since I have done the same work with other items with relative success.

Obviously I can't pretend to do a so impressive work as he does but I can try something similar.
The image bellow was the last I have seen from him. Gorgeous. Or perhaps, this method is not suitable for flowers ?... or may be it is if one knows what one is doing...
Confusing, confusing... I am confused myself ! LOL

A few minutes ago I was surfing and found a very innovative perspective of presenting flowers: Romina Ressiaph from whom I present an image below.

Back to what you wrote.

I think I can very well understand what you mean by "...your flowers are all clumped together. I want them to breathe..." and I do agree.

I have been using soft lights all the time, tripod and long exposures (15 seconds). But still, the final work doesn't evidence/point the kind of light and the way I use it. It looks more like I have been using two or just one light not returning the kind of enhancement I see in Ross'. Or perhaps the object is so different. Yes, differents in shape and volume... oh...

I must go back to work. Let's see what I can achieve.

And again, Maggie thank you for your feedback. Always welcome !

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

I appreciate you links!

I am going to reread and reread your post and go to the links too. I agree that the delivery of the colors to the table below the vase is a superb design feature.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Lately, I have been very interested in color ! Yes, color !
And for longer I have been following Guy Tal. He writes on Lenswork (which I subscribe) and on books. I am not very found of theory. I am more a practical guy.
I have bought two of his books. The first one - rather theoretical - lies on a table in the sitting room. The other, The "Landscape Photography Guide to Photoshop" on the right of the picture is quite interesting and I have been reading it with pleasure.
Some parts of it are theoretical while others and very concise teaching CC.
My intention on reading and even studying this book is to try to make nice and beautiful color images whether they are landscapes or flowers

He masters colors in a very beautiful manner. OK, he uses over and over the same palette or a very similar one. His merits !
Look here for example, this recent work of him

Isn't this beautiful ? Isn't this exquisite ?
-
While on Facebook I found another guy doing also a great work: Michael Gordon
Again: Isn't this beautiful ? Isn't this exquisite ?
-
All thsi should go with another reference: On Landscape from UK