• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Corsica

Jarmo Juntunen

As I mentioned in my Vieille Ville thread we had this years' family vacation in Corsica. We didn't know much about this beautiful island before our travel but loved every minute of the trip. Such a wonderful place filled with history, friendly people and fantastic scenery. Here are some pictures from our journey.

The first glimpse

_smaller.jpg

Travellers on the ferry

_smaller.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

After getting to know our holiday accommodation at St Lucia di Moriani (in other words: beach and bar :-D) it was time to go exploring. First, a trip to the mountains, to Corte.

Off the High Street

_smaller.jpg

A brief encounter in Corte

_smaller.jpg

Lilou Boutik

_smaller.jpg

Troubled history displayed

_smaller.jpg

Corte

_smaller.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jarmo,

Let me chastise you for not giving individual pictures enough separate attention your wonderful work deserves. Each one deserves a pause, our undivided attention and enjoyment!

This is good work beyond holiday snaps!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here you have made a fine real life moment memorable:

A brief encounter in Corte

_smaller.jpg

B&W works as we can give attention to the curved shapes of the figures and the bonding between them. Color is too "pretty" and there's enough humanity that it needs no petty decoration!

Thanks for the extra effort here! Are there others that could be added to a small collection of the denizens you encountered?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Another captivating monochrome. Is also about bonding, as is the one above. So you have at least two!

Travellers on the ferry

_smaller.jpg

Do you really need the entire deck chair?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Jarmo,

Let me chastise you for not giving individual pictures enough separate attention your wonderful work deserves. Each one deserves a pause, our undivided attention and enjoyment!

This is good work beyond holiday snaps!

Asher

Accepted Asher! These pictures are my favourites amongst the thousands of frames shot during our vacation and I don't feel OPF to be the place to show one's holiday snaps. For that we have Facebook!

Right now I'm a bit busy, I'll give these and many more pictures more attention a bit later. For the time being I thank you for your kind words, I'm glad those two bw's in particular caught your attention.

Asher Kelman

Grand Scenery: Le Fortin de Pasciola

_img1280.jpg

Jarmo,

I love broad scenes like this. There seems to be a slight veil of atmospherics. Have you, as yet, tried some "clarity", "S-curve" or sharpening with a low percent of say 12 and a pixel radius of about 60 to get the landscape to "pop".

Of course, you may have already used these tricks to your satisfaction!

It goes without saying that your picture has NO fundamental "need" for post processing and fiddling as I dare to suggest! It's a thing like "should waterfalls be "milky" from a longer exposure or should we be able to see droplets of sparking spray"?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Ajaccio Street View

_img1280.jpg

I love these "Vespa"/Lambretta form motor bikes as one can wear buisiness work clothes and still skip past slow and stalled traffic. I have fond memories of my own bike, (actually borrowed from my college girlfriend) when I was prone to visit her early each morning, entering her ground floor apartment by stealthily raising the sliding casement window and letting myself in to "surprise" her with a kiss and a coffee!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you for your kind comments, Wolfgang and Klaus!

That's a nice memory you have there, Asher! I like those bikes, too. Hope to get one some day...

Asher Kelman

Jarmo,

I remembered there was more here and revisited. These two are interesting being placed next to one another.

The first provides a question of identity. Are these cute tourists looking at the dresses or manequins there to attract little tourists?

Lilou Boutik

_smaller.jpg

Troubled history displayed

_smaller.jpg

The second one has words of rebellion and identity painted on the shop wall. Is it representing some lunatic fringe or the trapped soul of a repressed people?

From trivial to existential, two extreme takes on "identity"!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Indeed an excellent collection of images from Corsica. :)

Hope you come to Portugal next time.

Now, in October, the weather is just fantastic. ;)

Wonder photos, Jarmo! I also really like the black and white ; that is gorgeous. Also the motorbike by the door.. ah, so nice!

Looks like you have a wonderful time!

Jarmo Juntunen

Nice to see this thread revived! Thank you! Yes, it was indeed a nice trip. We really enjoyed our stay there, even though you could sense the heavy weight of history everywhere. I understand some of the separatists are not too fond of tourism and Corsica is actually the only place I've ever seen to sell separatist merchandise with openly violent imagery at casual supermarkets and souvenir shops. Unfortunately, we do not speak any French and since the locals had only very limited English skills we were unable to communicate on any deeper level with people. I would have loved to hear more about their current life. But it was an enjoyable trip for the whole family.

Asher Kelman

Being curios at the Corte castle

_img1280.jpg

Jarmo,

This very view reminds me of ?? itself!

Hint at visiting Portugal! (Coincidentally, they don't speak a word of French either, so you will be at home)! You will be spoiled by so many things. The most obvious the people, the weather and the food!

Just imagine you visit the center of the planet in Setubal for choosing fresh seafood! Your eyes will pop out of your head.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Off the High Street

_smaller.jpg

Jarmo,

There still are treasures to be found! Also, BTW, some of the folk may not speak French either, but a derivative of Italian, representing the diverse warring history for the control of the Island!

This picture shows how the hard fought for living space get maximized by families when there are not easier options to simply move into a larger apartment. Notice the balconies added and then converted to enclosed space!

In other places, such tacked on additions would be demolished by the City. Here they somehow manage to squeeze in room!

Asher

Asher Kelman

As to language, this is from Wikipedia:

Italian was the official language of Corsica until the 9th of May of 1859,[28] when it was replaced by French. Corsican (Corsu), a minority language that is closely related to medieval Tuscan (Toscano), has a better prospect of survival than most other French regional languages: Corsican is in fact, after French (Français), the most widely spoken language on the island. However, since the annexation of the island by France in the 18th century, Corsican has been under heavy pressure from French, and today it is estimated that only 10% of Corsica's population speak the language natively, with only 50% having some sort of proficiency in it.[29]

The language is divided into two main varieties: Cismuntanu and Ultramuntanu, spoken respectively northeast and southwest of the Girolata - Porto Vecchio line. This division was due to the massive immigration from Tuscany which took place in Corsica during the lower Middle Ages: as a result, the Cismuntanu became very similar to the Tuscan dialects, being part of the Italo-Dalmatian language group, while the Ultramuntanu could keep its original characteristics which make it much more similar to a Southern Romance language like Sardinian (Sardu).[30][31] Therefore, due to the differences between the main dialectal varieties, many linguists classify Corsican as an Italo-Dalmatian language,[32] while others consider it a Southern Romance one.[33]

It should also be noted that fewer and fewer people speak a Ligurian dialect, known as bunifazzinu,[34] in what has long been a language island, Bonifacio. In Cargèse, a village established by Greek immigrants in the 17th century, Greek (Ελληνικά) was the traditional language:[35] whereas it has long disappeared from spoken conversation, ancient Greek is still the liturgical language and the village has many Greek Orthodox.

Antonio Correia

Jarmo,
This very view reminds me of ?? itself!
Hint at visiting Portugal! (Coincidentally, they don't speak a word of French either, so you will be at home)! You will be spoiled by so many things. The most obvious the people, the weather and the food!
Just imagine you visit the center of the planet in Setubal for choosing fresh seafood! Your eyes will pop out of your head. Asher

Asher... you are exaggerating a bit, aren't you ? LOL

Portugal had a lot of French and English influence in the past. In High School everybody had to learn French. Well, at least people of my age.

Time shave changed and many speak English. In fact, few of the young speak French...

The weather these days have been absolutely gorgeous.

Luisa and I we have been to the beach in the morning for a couple of days, now. The temperature is mind and about 28-30 Centigrades. The water in the beach is cold: at 18/20 C

September / October is great. Neither many tourists nor many Portuguese on vacations. School time !

Jarmo, if you come, let me know please ! We are here - usually - at this time of the year.

Jarmo Juntunen

The temperature is mind and about 28-30 Centigrades. The water in the beach is cold: at 18/20 C.

Ha! If we get those temperatures up here, we call it HEAT. Water reaches those temperatures mainly in swimming pools. Yes, I definitely want to visit your country.

Thank you all for commenting. I find it nice that two members of the community have made travelled on this beautiful island at roughly the same time. It's great to see another traveller's view on Corsica.