Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Landscape - Travel

Old May 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Default Alabama Hills with Storm, #5

Here's a shot I made in the Alabama Hills, a couple years ago.

The light during this storm was quite wonderful, with dark storm clouds in the near distance, and bright, harsh late-afternoon sunlight, where I stood. Combined with the geological formations in this landscape, it made for quite an ominous feel, and so I tried to capture this experience in this photo.

This was shot with a 1Ds Mark II camera and a 24-70 f/2.8 lens, set to 24mm. My exposure was 0.3 second, at f/22, at ISO 100.

This was a picture that I put aside for a long time, while I figured out how to process is, as desired. I wanted to make it black and white, and well... I wanted to make it look as you see it here. I've recently been learning some more about post-processing, and learning how to use actions, so I could finally make this picture with the black and white treatment I wanted.

I hope you enjoy.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM

This is my favorite stop on the trek from Boise to L.A. I have many images from there...none to compare with yours.

Thanks for sharing.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Spinak View Post
This was a picture that I put aside for a long time, while I figured out how to process is, as desired. I wanted to make it black and white, and well... I wanted to make it look as you see it here. I've recently been learning some more about post-processing, and learning how to use actions, so I could finally make this picture with the black and white treatment I wanted.

I hope you enjoy.
Hi Mike

Firstly I enjoy it very much, it's wonderful, you've managed to make the rocks come to life, which I know is difficult to do. This shot is of particular interest to me - I came back from the far north west of Scotland a couple of weeks ago with loads of shots with fantastic rock formations.... Having just taken delivery of my new Mac today I need to settle down in the next few days and do some serious work on the shots I came back with, can you expand on the way this shot has been processed?
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Thank you, Winston. And, you're welcome.

Thank you, Janet.I would be happy to expand upon what I did, but I need to better understand it, myself, before I explain. I will get back to you, on this.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM

I like it!
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Janet.I would be happy to expand upon what I did, but I need to better understand it, myself, before I explain. I will get back to you, on this.
Thanks Mike, look forward to it....
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Hi, Janet.

First I applied an unsharp mask, with an amount of 20%, a radius of 20 pixels, and a threshold of 0%. Then I did a brightness/contrast adjustment, with a brightness of -7 and a contrast of +12. Then I used the history brush to selectively paint some detail back into the highlights which were now blown out, and back into the shadows which were now blocked up.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Hi Mike

Thank you, I'm working on some shots with rocks right now, I'll give it a go.....
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Janet,

You're welcome. I look forward to seeing them.

Daniel,

Thank you.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. I look forward to seeing them
Thanks Mike, I'll post some as soon as I can, I'm still working my way through all the shots I came back with, but I'm getting on well with my new Mac, it's so fast in comparison to my poor old PC, I'm already wondering how I managed without it!