• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chico California

Doug Herr

I'll be showing a few photos at Avenue 9 Gallery in Chico from January 15 through 31 in connection with the annual Snow Goose Festival. Last year the artist reception was PACKED with patrons and sales were quite satisfactory :)

I'll be showing these photos:

caquai07.jpg

buor00.jpg

buow04.jpg

blbear05.jpg

rogoos02.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

Excellent work Doug! Good luck with the show.

ps. "The goose take-off chaos" is my favourite of the set. Feel free to use the title ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'll be showing a few photos at Avenue 9 Gallery in Chico from January 15 through 31 in connection with the annual Snow Goose Festival. Last year the artist reception was PACKED with patrons and sales were quite satisfactory :)

blbear05.jpg

Hi Doug,

This fellow is adorable. where was this taken and how close were you? I'd want to look behind me all the time with this cub!

buor00.jpg

The color is so rich! So what's your setup? Are you a luck 100-400 Canon guy or you use a really special lens?

Asher

Doug Herr

blbear05.jpg

Hi Doug,

This fellow is adorable. where was this taken and how close were you? I'd want to look behind me all the time with this cub!

I'd guess I was 50' from this guy. I spent a week with this cub and his mom at Taylor Creek Lake Tahoe where the bears are accustomed to people and vice versa. BooBoo's mom (Blondie) was off to the right when I made this picture; she was quite comfortable around photographers. The Forest Service keeps track of the bears and makes sure any encounters end without bloodshed, sometimes by scaring the bear away.

While I was there Blondie taught BooBoo to catch live fish.
blbear06.jpg

He started with fish that were already dead, but when he first caught a live fish Blondie came over to check it out & BooBoo told her very clearly "My fish, not sharing".

buor00.jpg

The color is so rich! So what's your setup? Are you a luck 100-400 Canon guy or you use a really special lens?

This is an old Kodachrome 64 made with a pre-AI 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor-H. My primary lens now is the Leica 280mm f/4 APO.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
and these photos:

mawren02.jpg

amavoc01.jpg

Doug,

What distinguishes your work is that, unlike Audubon, you didn't slaughter the birds you show so beautifully! I can't remember any other photographer who competes with beauty this way! It's as if you have discovered a secret path in the woods and meadows tended by nymphs and fairies who keep everything magical for you!

Tell me the secret of how you bribe the nymphs?

Asher